Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a couple of videos of my pigeons flying.. enjoy

Memorial Weekend Toss
Video of my birds returning from a toss approximately 100 miles away at the Island of Oahu.

YB afternoon loft flying
Video of my YB loft flying yesterday afternoon . This is about an hour later after I let them out to loft fly. They route and disappear from my sight.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
ezemaxima,

Wow! I love it! 100 miles toss? You are crazy. And you are doing this just as a hobby right(not racing)? How much is gas there anyhow? Here the cheapest I could find was $2.89 regular.

It seems that you have high quality birds and they are beautiful to boot!

May I ask how did you train toss those birds up to 100 miles? Did you start at 5 then added every 10 miles?

Do you always fly them in groups? My ranging birds are pairs. Routing they go as a group.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ezemaxima,

Wow! I love it! 100 miles toss? You are crazy. And you are doing this just as a hobby right(not racing)? How much is gas there anyhow? Here the cheapest I could find was $2.89 regular.

It seems that you have high quality birds and they are beautiful to boot!

May I ask how did you train toss those birds up to 100 miles? Did you start at 5 then added every 10 miles?

Do you always fly them in groups? My ranging birds are pairs. Routing they go as a group.
Our cheapest gas is around $3.15 per gallon but for this toss require an airline trip cause there is nowhere far you can drive and consider it a 100 mile distance. A few friends of mine was flying over to the island of Oahu for the memorial weekend so we decided to call the airlines and ask for the possibility of having my birds as their luggage and I was amazed they allowed it with certain restrictions. So off my birds went in my 2 aluminum basket and was released in the city known as Kaneohe.

Yes it a just a hobby even though I would love to race them but no racing club around my area. I do plan on making contact with the racing club in Oahu and possibly sending a few birds for the one loft race but I'm not sure if they do have one.

I usually take them for a toss here and there and gradually increase the distance. Remember these are my old birds that are about 1-3 years old. I did loose 2 birds on that toss. For greater distance I usually ship them as cargo and I take a flight to the same location. I only do this when I'm already going for a reason as it is costly shipping them. The last time cost me $50.

I usually loft fly them as a group but I keep the YB on a separate loft flying. I do left my breeders out as pairs and let them loft fly. It keeps them happy and strong instead of being coop up in the breeding cage. They tend to range/ route far when their babies are about 2 weeks old as the weather here never gets really cold.

Here's a map used by the Honolulu racing club

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's more video of my birds. Sorry it came out blurry and the sun pretty much made it difficult to see them. Took my birds approximately 12 miles.

YB with resettled birds

Here are my YB with some of my resettled OB. This is the first time I took them this far.

OB toss

Here are my OB at the same location. Decided to take them along just incase some of the YB gets lost or start wandering.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Thanks for the videos again. It is nice that those airlines allowed you to do that. I also noticed that your birds will cross the ocean to get back. As I understand it pigeons are hesitant on crossing water and they usually will avoid it if they can. That makes your birds of higher quality to me; they just cross it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts