Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that Apple Cider Vinegar helps your birds, but what if i give them Red Whine vinegar will it do much good, or is it useless? Can i mix both vinegar and Garlic in a one gallon water bottle, or is that bad to do?

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is what I was told by several fliers, not sure if its an ol' school thing or not but it just makes sence to me.

Apple Cider Vinegar: Is an anti-oxidant and helps to flush the kidneys and blood.

Garlic: Natural way to combat various crop infections, mainly canker.

We use them combined and have never had any ill effects. Its readily available in any grocery store and is alot cheaper then any of the medications you can buy. The meds do have there uses but its like anything else, you can over do it.

Red Wine? Never heard of it being done so Im not to sure about that one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
no, the only kind of apple cider vinegar that is useful is unpasteurized, raw, unfiltered, with the sediment, or 'mother' still at the bottom of the bottle.

i would think putting both in the same water would be overkill, but....?

from everything i've read, the stuff is utterly amazing and SAFE!!!! i always have a bottle at home. had to buy it at a health food store, but in the doses you use, it lasts forever.

for the red wine vinegar? i would make a good salad dressing with it....:D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
no, the only kind of apple cider vinegar that is useful is unpasteurized, raw, unfiltered, with the sediment, or 'mother' still at the bottom of the bottle.

i would think putting both in the same water would be overkill, but....?

from everything i've read, the stuff is utterly amazing and SAFE!!!! i always have a bottle at home. had to buy it at a health food store, but in the doses you use, it lasts forever.

for the red wine vinegar? i would make a good salad dressing with it....:D
So the stuff I got at walmart isn't the right stuff? The bottle doesn't say unpasteurized so I don't think I have the right kind. Can you find unpasteurized ACV at Trader Joe's or some other popular store like that?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
golden try a vitiman store or a store where body builders go to buy thier stuff
thats where I get my ACV (the Braggs Brand with mother in it)
like GNC or something of the sort

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
So the stuff I got at walmart isn't the right stuff? The bottle doesn't say unpasteurized so I don't think I have the right kind. Can you find unpasteurized ACV at Trader Joe's or some other popular store like that?
Whole Foods also carries it, or Wild Oats, or another health food store.

You can use the pasteurized for their bath water, that is what I have done and it gets them squeaky clean. I'm not sure Trader Joe's carries it but would assume it would as it is a health/nutrition store. You can also try Wild Oats or whole Foods.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
wow... all this time I had no idea the ACV was supposed to be unpasteurized. I've been using Heinz ACV from the grocery store for about 2 yrs now :eek: I just remember Phil emphasizing that it had to be fresh so I do replace the bottle every two months (run the remainder of the bottle through the coffee maker to clean that out so I'm not being wasteful).

Ed - GNC near you carries the right kind? We have one closeby us so hopefully I can find it there.

That's what I love about this site - always always learning! :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i gave them the watter with garlic oday and they dont seem to like it. they dont seem to drink it.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It is the acid part that is important people for vinegar. With respect to ACV, you get more extra stuff (nutrients). So there is that added benefit. Some bacterias don't like acidic environments and it just so happens that those are the ones that are not good for pigeons. So it's perfect.

alb23m,
You probably put too much garlic--too strong. My birds don't find any difference with garlic water compared to ordinary water. They just drink like the same.

I do, however, observed that they like the vinegar stuff. They seem to drink more.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I used 3 cloves of garlic to a gallon of water. Remember to puncture the cloves with a fork or knife before you add them to the water. This allows the essence of the garlic to flow out into the water. I leave the garlic water in the whole day and replace it with fresh water in the evening.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
wow... all this time I had no idea the ACV was supposed to be unpasteurized. I've been using Heinz ACV from the grocery store for about 2 yrs now :eek: I just remember Phil emphasizing that it had to be fresh so I do replace the bottle every two months (run the remainder of the bottle through the coffee maker to clean that out so I'm not being wasteful).

Ed - GNC near you carries the right kind? We have one closeby us so hopefully I can find it there.

Im not 100% sure that GNC will carry it
they SHOULD but might not
I go to this place to get my ACV

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=GG-7006

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
wow... all this time I had no idea the ACV was supposed to be unpasteurized.
* I've been using Heinz ACV from the grocery store for about 2 yrs now
:eek:

** I just remember Phil emphasizing that it had to be fresh so I do replace the bottle every two months (run the remainder of the bottle through the coffee maker to clean that out so I'm not being wasteful).

* I have been doing the same thing for years, Dez. I've never had a problem with my inside guys and very, very, rarely do I have an ill feral among the flock. :)
Once I did try the 'preferred' brand of ACV and the only thing I noticed different was the cost. :p

** I realize we all have our opinion, however I don't discard my ACV after only a couple months. There is a 'use by' date on items for a reason. I do keep my eye on that and discard accordingly if need be.

Cindy

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
So will using the pasteurized walmart ACV do just fine? I want to make sure I'm doing things the right way. If the walmart stuff does the job then I will stick to it because I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than the organic non-pasteurized stuff.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
So will using the pasteurized walmart ACV do just fine? I want to make sure I'm doing things the right way. If the walmart stuff does the job then I will stick to it because I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than the organic non-pasteurized stuff.
I'm sure you're going to get a variety of opinions on this subject.
My suggestion would be, take all the opinions into consideration and do what works for you. :)

My experience has been that I saw no difference in using the 'organic' brand ACV as opposed to 'general' brands of ACV, except for the cost.
Nor have I seen any ill affects in my own birds as well as the feral flock by not discarding the ACV after only two months, rather continuing to use it to the expiration date.

Cindy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts