Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I've had it with these violent squeaky desert zombie like pigeons.

Part of a project am working on for this summer, I had to move for 2 months and live on the roof-top of a building in the Arabian desert and it all started when the mom landed on my window about 2 months ago, laid an egg and a small (devilish-squeaky) baby pigeon, with a very irritating glass breaking crow like sound, cracked out and has never shut up since then day and night. It has gained a good deal of wing size and body mass since birth but still looks small (and probably can't fly). I have closely monitored its legs and they are fine. it tried to jump on the glass once while being raped by its parents. Yes! please continue reading.

THE REAL PROBLEM:

Ever since it has been born, another gigantic desert pigeon started attacking my window and fighting so fiercely (like a cock death fight) with the mom. This was so disturbing and bloody. Meanwhile, the baby pigeon would squeak more and more. These skirmishes went on for like 2 weeks until both adult pigeons came to terms, and one of them is violently attacking with its beak the baby pigeon from the back (the rape is taking place again right now actually, every 5 minutes...). the baby pigeon squeaks so hard and tries to move away but it can't or does not want to am not sure! But m sure it still can't fly. It does not move an inch to protect itself; just takes all the beating (or stabbing?) while sitting ducks. The other adult pigeon doesn't seem to give a damn anymore about what is happening.

My speculations:

- the hulky pigeon is actually the dad trying to force the baby pigeon to move and fly? the baby pigeon is either injured or not mature enough for such activity?
- the hulky pigeon is zombified, barbaric, wild....so hungry trying to kill and eat the baby pigeon?

other forms of fighting take place, mostly using the beak (beak to beak, beak to neck, beak to wings, hold the baby's beak with its beak and move it around so hard...)

As of this moment, i revealed the true harsh nature of pigeons (one species of them maybe?) and i wonder how come it symbolizes peace and stuff. You gotta hear the mom moaning like a small human baby whining...sooo irritating. actually it is so similar to the sound of an owl but with more depth to it.

Please let me know what is happening on my window? i don't want to end up having a dead baby pigeon massacred by its...parents?

thanks
P.S: Rabbits have always been my favorite pets.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I think you have a pigeon family there with the parents feeding the baby and them perhaps getting a little nookie for themselves. I kinda got lost in some of your verbiage, but I suspect everything is just as it should be with this pigeon family.

Others members will be along shortly with their take on this.

Terry

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Holding the baby's beak with its own beak would describe feeding - baby pigeons take regurgitated food from the parent in this way, and it often looks like a struggle between one and the other. Two mated adults will engage in this 'feeding', or at least go through the feeding motion, as part of courtship and pair bonding, also.

Pigeons do not eat other pigeons.

The moaning is probably the 'nest calling' sound which adults make to draw the mate to them.

So, there are three adults around? The parents plus an 'intruder'? A male pigeon may decide he likes a territory or try to take over another pigeon's mate, and the resident male would usually defend, unless or until he backed down to what he perceived as a superior male.

Can you get a pic or two of these pigeons, or at least of the young one, and post them here?,

John

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I agree with everything John said. The cockbird that was actually hurting the two was probably not the dad, but rather another bird who wants that nesting spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello people

Thanks for all the feeds.

As surprising as it may sound, after i posted my original post this morning and left for work, i came back to notice that the whole flock left my window including the kid. am not sure if it fell down or what but i think his violent parents ( mother & step-father..mother and intruder whatever..) managed to make him/her fly using their acts of terror.

later afternoon one of the big pigeons came back, did some moaning, then left. it is midnight now and no sign of any. Hope the kid is ready for the real world now.

P.S: don't be surprised if this thread gets upped sometime again soon; something feels fishy about these arab pigeons

·
Registered
795 Posts
I Didn't bother past the first paragraph.
An Attention getter you truly Are!
Some have contributed, But I Won't.
Class is Class, and Style is Style.

I Recommend, that from now on, You Ditch Your Style, and Get Some Class!
Pigeon parents Raping Their Young?
Boy Do You Have Lots To Learn About Pigeons!!!

Stick Around, And Ask Lots of Questions About Pigeons!
There Plenty of Different Kinds of People, From All Over The World Here that Will Help You Out!
Truly Folks, I Couldn't Even get past his 1st paragraph! :eek:
I know that I'm here to help, BUT, I'm Totally Suprised That it Was Printed (World Wide) on Pigeon Talk!!! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts