Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a hen who I suspect may lay eggs anyday, she vomitted and it has this weird odor, sort of fishy like. She seems a little sleepy tonight, but otherwise was acting normal. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Cheryl:confused:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I recall when Gatsby was here that he was looking mighty hurtin' for a couple of days...loose poops, sorta fluffy (no vomiting, though). Ended up he was a she and after 2 eggs she perked up again.

However, vomiting usually isn't a great sign. Can you isolate her and keep her warm, and just observe if she seems to be getting worse ?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Mmmm...yeah, the stinky vomit....could be a sign of canker. Get some Metronidazole (Flagyl, Fishzole) or Spartrix....asap.

Oftentimes an aquarium store will have Fishzole/Metronidazole. Just make sure it's pure Metronidazole, no additives.

Or, order from Jedds or Foys and use express mail delivery.

OOPS...I just noticed....you are 12 miles south of me ! I have meds up here in SF if you need any. PM me if you want to arrange (Elizabeth can vouch that I'm a good guy).

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Vomiting isn't normal, nor is her behavior. Any chance you can get her to a vet? There are some excellent avian vets in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I responded to your other post--didn't realize there were two. It could be canker, but I still think you should get her to a vet. I lost a pet dove last year to aspergillus and her only symptoms were vomiting and listlessness the day before she died.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Vomiting can be a symptom of many illnesses. But when it has a bad odor it is most likely canker. Have her checked by a vet if possible. You need to start her asap on Flagyl.

Reti

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
'Medistatin', or, 'ACV-water of medium strength ( say, 5 Tablespoons of raw Apple Cider Vinegar to a Gallon of Water )...

Tubed in, along with Anti-Canker meds...

Would be prudent.

...and maybe a good Antibiotic, as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone! I ended up giving my hen (Jan) some fluids for about 4 days and ACV in her water as well as some hand on Reiki. She had only vomited the one day and seemed to be responding to Fluids and Reiki. I was also concerned as she had not had eggs. I just lost another Hen a few weeks ago who had a bunch of Calcified Eggs stuck in her and it was a small fortune and she died in surgery:( So I was going on my intuition. At last I think it was Tuesday there were two really gross mucus covered eggs (one was rubbery) and she is doing very well now. She had already been treated for canker a few weeks before. (I found this end on my birthday 1/3 whilst going out to dinner, should of seen my friends when I walked into dinner with a king pigeon LOL). Anyway, so the vomit in this case was she was egg bound. I am keeping an eye on this girl, have her indoors with her mate. Hoping she will be okay from here on out. So far she is being a normal healthy Pij! THANK GOODNESS!

I will try to figure out how to post a pic of the eggs.

Thanks for all the replies and help. I really appreciate it. I found a lot of different posts that helped me a lot!!!

Cheryl
xox

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Probably ought to run her through a course of Trimethoprim/Sulfa (Divet is one commercial name) for a couple of weeks.

Pidgey

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi I just wanted to let everyone know that Jan the pigeon with the goopy eggs had to have surgery to removal eggs backed up and had her uterus removed. She had a really bad infection and was treated with antibiotics. She is doing great now but her and her husband Dovee have to adopt. I have been able to add eggs to there nest and they are taking turns sitting on them:) So My Birthday Bird Jan is saved and living happy!
:)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Wow--that's amazing! That's a very risky procedure that normally has a low chance of success. Who performed the surgery? Congratulations on saving her. She's a very lucky girl.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I lost a hen to that surgery, so I was really nervous, It is also pretty expensive. I think the best is Dr Speer (Medical Center for Birds) in Oakly CA, he is amazing!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had replied but its not here! I had the surgery performed by Dr Speer at Medical Center for Birds in Oakley, CA. I lost one other Pij Wendee to the same surgery before and was really nervous. But, it all went great. Speer is the best and is flown all over the world to do surgery on peoples birds. He is my only bird vet now!

He saved my Birthday Bird Jan!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts