Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a dove that I found 3 weeks ago on top of a truck in florida. I think it's a european collared dove. I think he was trying to learn to fly and fell from nest. But this is not the problem.

He (or she) has been totally fine until a few hours ago, when he started vomiting. At first I thought maybe a feather got stuck in his throat and I saw 1 thing come out and he stopped, so I thought it was ok. Then he kept doing it and I saw that it was food. It looked like small and medium sized chunks of gooey oatmeal with seeds in it. He did that maybe 6 - 10 times and then I gave him some water. A little bit later he spewed out a stream of mostly water. Then maybe 15 minutes later he had a HUGE explosion of wet seeds come out, and he pooped a normal looking poop.

Now he has been sitting quietly, usually with eyes closed, and tail is down.

I think he might have eaten a small piece of a chocolate chip that was stuck to a pie pan. Other than that, I have been giving him a mix of bird seeds from the pet store, and once in a while some instant oatmeal (dry) and water.

Does anyone know if he was throwing up because of a tiny piece of a chocolate chip, or could it be something else, and do you think he's ok now that he threw everything up? I cannot afford to go to a vet but I really like this bird, he is so sweet.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What kind of bird seed? Hopefully a dove mix. Some of the bigger seeds, such as sunflower seed, can cause obstruction which can cause sour crop. Pigeons and doves eat the seed whole, unlike song birds and parrots which shell the seed before eating.

The dove also needs grit available so to grind down the seed and digest them.

The dove may have a canker infection or worms. Perhaps you can find a vet that will in the least do a fecal exam for your pet dove. Remember to call the dove your pet dove without offering the circumstances you came by acquiring him.

Another thing you can try is giving the dove a drop of pepto gismo to coat his crop and help him keep food from coming up. I would, very gently, feel the crop to see if it feels like the crop has a lump of seeds that may be causing obstruction. If so, you will need a vet to clean out the crop.

Birds go down hill very quickly so you don't have a lot of time to intervene.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he was vomiting that way, there must be a reason. I agree that he probably needs to be treated. Could be sick. And with birds, as was mentioned, they do go down hill fast.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
he was fine all day yesterday, but today he threw up twice in about 1 hour, but now seems fine again

he eats this, except not the colored ones because they are too big

I don't know whay they look so shiny..Your seeds must be treated with something. Regular dove pigeon mix seeds should be found in the store.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Canker and yeast can both cause vomiting -- is his crop emptying completely when he eats? Vomiting really is not normal -- Charis and Jay are absolutely right about that.

I also wonder about that seed mix, and why it is so shiny -- something made specifically for doves would be best (that wouldn't include colored seeds, btw).

He/she is a very pretty little bird -- I hope you figure out what the problem is.

Have you tried looking down his throat? You can gently pry the beak open, and shine a flashlight down in ... anything other than pink is not a good sign. You'd be looking to see if there are any white or yellow patches anywhere in the beak or throat (he will get a little fussy when you do this, but it won't hurt him if you do it gently.)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Canker and yeast can both cause vomiting -- is his crop emptying completely when he eats? Vomiting really is not normal -- Charis and Jay are absolutely right about that.
.)
Minimonkey, Indiana before she couldn't stand up and had that horror night with her passing out soft eggshells, threw up the seeds she ate. I am talking from my experience. So may be Calcium & D3, grit and other vitamins this dove is lacking .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts