Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at work today and found out pest control would be arriving to exterminate a bunch of pigeons , of course I could not let that happen so I caught the baby and took it home . At the time I found it , crop milk from the parents was being fed so I thought giving formula would not be a hassle ; the squab (3+ weeks) started vomiting after 20ml of Hari (40 degrees) hand feeding formula . No interest in seeds or water .

I have not measured the weight but can say the beak and back of the throat are clear of canker .

Poop is liquid brown , so pretty bad IMO (is this telling of a disease I can cure)

Right now sitting in room temperature as it had survived on a balcony through rain and cold with parents . If you think that I should lift up the temperature with a heat pad , please tell me so .

Will be posting pictures , But this little one needs help fast or he/she will starve (as of now)
JohnP

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good news , I found his/her brother on the same balcony so now he has some company . The new squab (same age) is already eating seeds after only being around for a few hours , however the sick bird with brown watery poops who vomited all the formula is only slightly following his/her lead .

I did find lice , but they are quite young so I don't know if I should spray them with the anti-lice spray (don't want to permanently damage feathers) . The bottle doesn't say what the minimum age is .

· Super Moderator
8,594 Posts
Rather keep them apart. Do it in such a way that they can still see each other, but not share the same food and waterbowl. The problem is that you won't be able to get antibiotics from a pharmacy in your country. Nystatin will treat a yeast infection, metronidazole will treat canker and amoxycillin will treat bacterial infections.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update , I gave dexo to both my pigeons and applesauce to the vomiting one .

Eventually he completely stopped the vomiting and began eating lots of seeds.His sibling also eats a lot.
(if your wondering , I gave 0.08 grams of doxy per 100ml of water for 4 days)

His poops are looking more and more normal but a new problem arises , something I have never seen before .
He keeps on tapping his feet on the floor and then stops , pecks his feet and then starts again .
This is really irritating him . I don't think this is to do with flight training since he can already fly short distances and I don't think this is to do with mating at all since he does this non stop . There are also no strings or threads . My best theory is he is irritated with feather growth or he has tiny mites biting him , I've already sprays his legs with permethrin (along with his feathers and his sibling)

Thinking of putting both of them on pro biotics and stop the Doxy .
Thank you Marina B for the suggestion , we have a new battle on our hands :D

John

· Registered
180 Posts
Hi, I'm glad to hear that he stopped vomiting and is eating ! Yes Marina has great advices 😍
Yes tapping the feet is typical of mites or lice. I'll let someone else tell you about how to treat this because I only know a few products in France sorry.
Well done on getting him to eat this is an awesome news

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great news today everyone , after a thorough dipping into a half ACV half water mixture , Happy feet is no longer dancing(tapping) as much . We soaked both the birdies yesterday evening and today they have been acting very well doing all their normal tasks except no tapping .

I have to add that the tapping gets notably more intense in the evening but , its still not that time yet so I will update if we go a full day without the problem .

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So essentially we have two perfect birds , That will need a rehabber . I am in London Camden so if you know anyone who can take them that would be great .

I will soon be advertising the two on facebook too, the sooner the better for them.

No more dancing . :D

· Super Moderator
8,594 Posts
You can try the Facebook group: Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation. They have plenty of members in the UK. They will probably refer you to the closest rescue centre. Just make sure they are pigeon friendly. Go visit before you take the babies, there should be plenty of pigeons getting treatment. If there's none, well then please don't take them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.