Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already lost a pigeon to sour crop, so I am getting paranoid about my other pigeons and their crop emptying.
Today my pigeon Ranjo arched her neck and spat out a bit of yesterday night's food. I am worried this might be the start of sour crop.

Ever since I got her 2 months back, Ranjo has a protruding chest, which feels kind of mushy to touch (whether I have fed her or not). It is like the crop walls are thick or something. I force-feed her pellets thrice a day(she doesn't eat on her own). She drinks water on her own. She is a small variety of pigeon, and I have seen other pigeons like her around here.

She is quite active, but mainly doing the PMV things - circling aimlessly, running to and fro when stressed.

I checked her crop now, and it doesn't seem filled with food, but the normal mushiness is there. I am scared to feed her though, because of the vomiting.

Also about the past history - Got her with PMV symptoms 2 months back. Treated her with metronidazole and baytril for 10 days.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add - I suspect she might have a hooked beak, which might explain why she doesn't eat. However she doesn't even attempt to eat, which is surprising.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am not sure about pellets... have you added ACV into his water? If not, do so for the next few days... then follow-up with probiotics powder in the water (I think I gave you a packet of FOYS Probiotics in the package, right? Use that)

If he is still vomitting and the crop feels mushy, PLEASE RESIST the need to force food down his throat. I think it's really important that the food in the crop be given a chance to move...

I believe sometimes, in a sour crop situation, it is better for a pigeon to fast for 3 days than to be force-fed that could worsen the situation. As long as you keep the pigeon hydrated with water, maybe add some vitamins in the water, let her drink it, but NO solid food for as long as the crop needs to be empty.

Yes, he may get weak, but he will get better once the crop empties. The pigeon won't be starving to death if you keep him hydrated with vitamin water for a few days.

He's already been treated with metro and baytril... so should be clear of yeast and canker..

For the next 2-3 days, can you try this?
Day one - ACV flush - give him WARM water with ACV
Day Two - Give him WARM water with probiotics
Day Three - Monitor him... if his crop flattens, feed him WARM (not too hot) green peas (only give about 5 peas per serving three times a day) Keep monitoring him!
Day Four - If the crop flattens, or he is no longer throwing up, you can increase the amount of peas... but still keep it bearable (do not overfeed!)

Always keep his crop close to a heating pad at all times!

Keep us updated! Good luck!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Sassypants!
Yesterday, I fed her after a long time, because she was pooping (so the crop was emptying) and her poops were getting smaller in size till they were just dots in a pool of water, so I didn't want her to starve.
So, I think it is not sour crop yet. Perhaps it is a yeast problem that hasn't yet developed into sour crop??
I don't know for sure if I should keep her without food for three days. I have started her on ACV water today. No food given today. She walks and runs about so it is possible to keep her on a heating pad. I will check her crop tomorrow and update.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ok good luck!

Again, if it's sour crop, please resist overfeeding her until the crop empties.

I hope she will be alright. Keep us updated k.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the crop yesterday after an entire day of no food, it still feels squishy but seems like it has air inside. What I am thinking is - Ranjo definitely has a more squishy and protruding crop than others here. Does the size and squishiness differ from pigeon to pigeon? Or is this symptom of something going on in the crop? This is the doubt I have. I will post a picture. Her crop is empty while I took the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ranjo's crop doesnt look full... he's just hunched (maybe because he is sick) but the crop looks normal to me in that photo.

I've made a crop comparison photo of Krikky when she has eaten about 20 peas, so you can see the difference of a full crop and a flattened one. Hope this helps!

The crop looks rather solid and will eventually subside after a while. If Ranjo's crop does not look like that, it means his crop is moving. From the picture, it doesn't look protruding (like Krikky's 20 peas crop) so I'm hoping it's not sour crop!

Hope he is feeling better now. Hopefully the ACV has flushed out whatever that was stuck inside. Now that its all air, should be ok... I hope!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot Sassypants for the pics. I got the idea of the position of the crop, and how it looks when full.
After looking at the pictures, I am feeling her crop is normal after all. Just that she has more muscle than Ricky, so her chest is kinda protruding. Thanks a lot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts