Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my male pigeon is not well today.

He vomited once yesterday and today 2 times :( but today he is really quiet compared to his aggressive possessive attitude normally. He is sitting all puffy in front of a heater I turned on for him to get warm by.

I am in Brazil, so our temperature for our winter is between 20-26 during the day and night time 12-16. They have their own room which is cozy. He usually is obsessed with our hen but he hasn't even gone near her today, he has just gotten worse this afternoon, yesterday he was acting the same.

My partner who is studying to be a vet...looked things up by his symptoms and she suspects it is "candidiasis" because the seeds he is throwing up are very acidic smelling.

My question is: is there something I can give him for this to help him get better?:confused:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Sandy, do you know the dilution ratio with water? Can I give him the dilution by syringe or just wait for him to drink it naturally tomorrow during the day?:confused:

Thanks
Keep the bird warm.

Yeast infections (candidiasis) is treated with a medication called Nystatin: http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/digestiveproblems.htm

Not sure if the organic ACV will help. He should be able to drink it as long as the taste isn't too strong. We put two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water for treatment.

Here is a link on crop status/sour crop- http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/cropstasissourcrop.htm

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Careyotis,
what do you see in his throat? Do his mouth and throat looks white from the inside? Some describe it as cotton mouth. Is there any slime?
How's he pooping? Don't feed him bigger seeds,give him smaller seeds! Rather some liquid and some apple sauce since the crop is slow/blocked. First he needs some strength back in him.
Get nystatin and I will also definitely treat the bird for canker.
Careyotis, I've crop flushed my pigeons many a time. Its risky for the bird. Thank Goodness your partner is under vet training. Let him flush the crop.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Flushing may not be necessary. It sounds like canker. Canker makes them vomit, and it smells that way. It also cause mucous in the beak. It's also very common. I would treat with Metronidazole, 50 mg. once daily for 7 to 10 days. You didn't say the crop was slow or blocked, so not sure where that came from. Having canker can cause a blockage though, and then can cause Candida. But it is usually canker and Metro will treat it.

For candida though, Nystatin is used for that normally, or Medistatin which is Nystatin for pigeons and sold online.
MEDISTATIN
They sell it here. Best price I know of.
http://www.jedds.com/-strse-651/MEDISTATIN/Detail.bok

I would go with canker first. It wouldn't hurt to add 1 to 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of drinking water. Any stronger and he probably won't want to drink it. I wouldn't flush the crop unless you are certain that he needs it. But right now, doesn't sound like it.
Let him drink on his own, unless he won't, which I doubt. They usually drink a lot with canker.

When you read symptoms and assume it is one thing, it could easily be another. Many things have the same symptoms. Go with the most common, which would be canker. Any stress can bring it on, even breeding or change of season.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought some metronidazole and crushed up 50mg, added a tad of water in a syringe and will give this to him once a day...he is still throwing up, no white to be seen in his beak...he has watery poop and throwing up everything he eats....he is seeking the sun to sit in so I will turn on the electric heater for him too.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the metronidazole, does it have side effects that I should be aware of? I have never treated my birds with pills before. How long does it take normally to see a difference in him? :confused: Will this pass to my hen?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
With tablets, you don't have to syringe it. You can just put it down his throat. Can you feed him even maybe some frozen peas, which have been defrosted and warmed under warm running water, or even some baby food peas before medicating, as Metro can also cause vomiting in some, on an empty crop. Do you have Pepto Bismol, or the like? If given a few drops of that 20 to 30 minutes before feeding or medicating, it often helps control the vomiting. If canker yes, it can pass to the hen. Most things can, so good idea to keep the sick bird separate in a quiet cage away from others. That's really the only way you can monitor them for eating, drinking, pooping etc. Is the crop emptying? Is he pooping? Pics?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Worms can also cause vomiting, if he were to have a lot of worms.
Have they ever been wormed?
Does he drink a lot?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I have not taken any photos, I don't use cell phones and don't have a camera handy. All my pigeons are dewormed, I put drops on them every 3 months for fleas, vitamins in their drinking water or when I get a chance, I give directly in their mouths. I did add the apple cider vinegar to the drinking water, so let's see how this all goes.

My male seems better after the first dose of metronidazole, he is back to his grumpy aggressive self. lol

I gave him the meds again today, I am just concerned about giving him a treatment of 7-10days...I just think that is a bit much, maybe I am wrong, let me know.

He is eating, drinking normally, his poop seems to be back to normal again. I am keeping a close eye on him.

Will post an update in a few days. Thanks again!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You under dose. That builds resistance in the trich. Some will say 5 to 7 days, and some will do 7 to 10 days. Often it comes back, as you haven't knocked it down enough, so I do 10. I have had and others have also canker that took 14 days to clear.
When you take an antibiotic, it is for 10 days. If you were to stop taking it when you feel better and don't finish the course of treatment, it will often come back on you. That is also what has helped to create the "super bugs" that antibiotics no longer cure.
So you should do 7 days anyway to be sure. It isn't going to hurt him. Squabs in the nest and squeakers are given Metro for canker with no bad results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.