Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a young pigeon earlier on this year and he has been coming in at night and flying about through the day but he came in yesterday very off balance. He is feeding ok but just a bit unstable when he lands, can anyone give me any suggestions what to do? I can not see any injuries on him.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi there,

I wonder if he's crashed into something and is a bit concussed. Are you keeping him inside for a while in the quiet to see if he improves?

If possible let him stay indoors, maybe set up in a box with food and water, just so you can monitor him.
Let us know if any other symptoms start to appear and we can try and help with finding out what's ailing him.
What are his poops like?

Hope he perks up but please come back if he doesn't.

Janet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ferel pigeon balance problems

I am keeping him in just now to keep an eye on him. His poops are normal and I thought also that he might be concust but thought he would have been showing signs of improvement today. Should I be doing anything else?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, can you possibly post a picture of the bird? How about weighing him or feeling his breastbone to see if it's prominent or well-fleshed?

Pidgey

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sick pigeon

Iwill weigh him and check his breasbone and let you know.
He still is a bit wobbly on his feet and seems to fall back on his elbows.
still eating ok and poops normal colour and shape.
Janice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Truly sounds like he crashed into something and his equilibrium is off. I would keep him "warm, dark & quiet" w/food and water for a few days so he can recover. Just keep a super close eye on him or show signs of marked neurological issues. Hope he is well soon! :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Janice, Sorry he hasn't picked back up fully.

Do you have access to an avian vet?
I had a young bird go off his legs a while ago seemingly for no reason and it's taken a good few weeks to get him right. Still don't know what the problem was but put him on a series of antibiotics.
Pidgey would be able to advise if this should be done and if so which meds.

At least Walter, ( I assume that's his name!) is eating ok and poops are ok otherwise I'd have suggested hand feeding.

You have no way obviously if he's been in contact with other pigeons and whether he's picked up any illness so definitely keep him confined while he's showing any signs of being unstable.

Just keep updating for now,

Janet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Waltersick pigeonoff his legs

Thanks I have kept Walter seperate from my other rescue pigeon who has only one eye due to Sparrow Hawk attack. I thought that he looked a bit better today I try not to handle him as I want him to stay wild but if hehas not improved tomorrow I will catch him. H was standing a bit better on his legs today but still a bit wobbly. I though maybe the Hawk may have hit him but he has no wounds. I will try to get anti biotics for him if he has not made more improvements .
Janice

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Thanks I have kept Walter seperate from my other rescue pigeon who has only one eye due to Sparrow Hawk attack. I thought that he looked a bit better today I try not to handle him as I want him to stay wild but if hehas not improved tomorrow I will catch him. H was standing a bit better on his legs today but still a bit wobbly. I though maybe the Hawk may have hit him but he has no wounds. I will try to get anti biotics for him if he has not made more improvements .
Janice
It must be a bit worrying not knowing what happened but at least he's not gone further downhill.

Yes maybe anti-biotics might be the next step but not having a diagnosis we'll have to call on the experts here maybe to advise which would be best to cover as many possibilities as possible.

Let us know what you manage to get hold of.

Good luck

Janet

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
He could easily be sick, too. I'd usually take it as a sign to start an antibiotic therapy. Do you have any medications like Baytril, Trimethoprim/Sulfa, Amoxycillin or anything like that?

Pidgey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts