Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I've been noticing that the local feral pigeons have become much more visible in the last couple of weeks. They also seem pretty relaxed, perching on power lines and milling about on the ground. Could this mean that the hawks are becoming less of a threat? Or just that things are finally warming up and they can't resist getting out and enjoying themselves?
We're all ready to get flying here....
Bill in Murdocksville, NC

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ran a hawk off my loft today, choice is yours but I'm waiting.

Tony

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tony,
Truth is I'm still waiting, too. I only have one ready to fly anyway. ;-} But I was wondering if there are any signs that can be watched for (like the ferals). I've also been baiting the crows that usually fly through here with waste pigeon feed.
Who knows? Any edge, right? :-]
Best Wishes! Bill

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hi All!
I've been noticing that the local feral pigeons have become much more visible in the last couple of weeks. They also seem pretty relaxed, perching on power lines and milling about on the ground. Could this mean that the hawks are becoming less of a threat? Or just that things are finally warming up and they can't resist getting out and enjoying themselves?
We're all ready to get flying here....
Bill in Murdocksville, NC
I lost count how many early bred YB's became hawk food, or simply flew off never to be seen again. But, the show must go on, and waiting for birds to mature and get stronger on the wing, just invites a much larger number of losses later from a "fly off". So, on these nice sunny days, I let them out and stand guard.

The more robins I see, the more food there is out there for the hawk. But, in recent years, I am never really out of the woods. It is all a very local thing. A mile, or 5 miles from here at another guys loft can be the difference between night and day. On any given day, you can be a target, but hiding out inside the loft, does not insure that you will be safe a week or a month from now. But, every attack we survive, the more smart my birds become. In the coming months, it will be rare that one will get caught. Get them out there, get them settled, and up in the air.

I rather lose one or two a week, then to wait and lose 17 at a shot. But, that is me.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Well put Warren my birds have been out for the last 2 weeks and only lost 1 so far. I let the old birds out first hoping the hawks will get tired and go find breakfest some where else.
Dave

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have settled my young birds and have had my old birds down the road. No hawk problems thus far. I also have not seen any hawks for a couple of weeks, just flying around.

But I know the Red Tails are there for sure (unless they died during the winter). The Coopers may be gone north though. They usually leave around March 1st or so.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
There are three things I take into consideration this time of year when it comes to hawks.

1. Most of the population of young hawks have died off by now (didnt survive their first winter) about 80%.

2. Half of the adult hawk population are not out hunting much this time of year because the females are either sitting on eggs or very close. The males feed the females durring nesting.

3. Once the trees get leaves, it greatly cuts down the line of sight. The coopers hawk can see my loft from an 1/8th of a mile rather than 3/4.

I guess one other thing is that alot of the smaller birds are courting and fighting over nesting grounds. This makes them easy targets for coopers hawks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Things seem to be looking up around here. The past few days were about 50 degrees and sunny.

I'm seeing far less coopers this week. The crazy little falcon of some sort, that spent almost everyday for the past month perched on top of my roller box, despite all my attempts to run him off, seems to have moved on. Haven't seen him yet this week, and I can't say that I'll miss him.

I saw two red tails the other day, probably our residents coming back. Where they gave me the chills last summer, I now feel pretty warm and fuzzy about them, considering the winter I had with the coopers.

Just now, as I was shutting up the loft for the night, saw a robin:)

I'm getting there! Couple more weeks to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have settled my young birds and have had my old birds down the road. No hawk problems thus far. I also have not seen any hawks for a couple of weeks, just flying around.

But I know the Red Tails are there for sure (unless they died during the winter). The Coopers may be gone north though. They usually leave around March 1st or so.
HaHa. Not long after writing the above, I drove to town and about two miles from my home, a Red Tail Hawk left the side o the road on my left, and flew across in front of my windshield but slightly higher than my vehicle. It seemed to be within reach, but really was probably twenty feet ahead of me (I was moving towards it though), and it was carrying in its beak, what appeared to be good sized mouse.

It actually was a beautiful creature. I felt sorry for the mouse and its possible young though. I also felt like going back home and putting my birds back in the loft. But I didn't and when I did get back home. They were all sunning and all was well. It was another nice day here, weather wise. That's two in a row. Whoo-Hoo!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Not at my place! I just got hit today. My blue-shield bird got hit and was bloody mess. It is bleeding from the back and the wing. I was able to save it. The hawk dove like it was a falcon, but it was a Cooper. It attacked my birds 5 times diving while my birds were trying to land. I almost got hit on the face! I was in front of the landing board when I saw one of my birds tried diving straight to it. I was not aware that the chasing bird was a hawk! I ducked and covered my face. Never seen such viciousness of attack. I also found out that it was a tandem hawk attack. They were pair. They left after one hour trying to get my birds both during landing and on the air. End rant! It was beautiful sunny day today!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Not at my place! I just got hit today. My blue-shield bird got hit and was bloody mess. It is bleeding from the back and the wing. I was able to save it. The hawk dove like it was a falcon, but it was a Cooper. It attacked my birds 5 times diving while my birds were trying to land. I almost got hit on the face! I was in front of the landing board when I saw one of my birds tried diving straight to it. I was not aware that the chasing bird was a hawk! I ducked and covered my face. Never seen such viciousness of attack. I also found out that it was a tandem hawk attack. They were pair. They left after one hour trying to get my birds both during landing and on the air. End rant! It was beautiful sunny day today!

and here you are letting them out and telling us about it all over again.:confused:

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Yes, I am being factual. I remember people promoting about releasing birds during spring thinking that it is safer. Not! The poster was saying about waning hawk presence. My data shows exceptions. I was just adding factual information--the real world info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts