Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanna show the new fly pen my wife and I just built, its 5' by 6' and a little over 6' high. I still have some more touch up to do. We just put a little door on the loft opening that we can close at night.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It's getting there!
You might want to put a few more vertical posts to help support the wire better, and lots more perches.
I don't know which way the winter snow will drift in?
Ive had what you have, and other lofts also, but I've settled on my small 4x4x8 foot loft, and make sure that they get enough flying time. That's for Flying type Pigeons. :)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Lookin good!
May I make a suggestion - based on my past mistake?
Be very careful with chicken wire. Mice and rats can get thru it :eek:
I lost half my birds a couple years ago to Norway rats :(
My old flight cage had chicken wire, so I put 1/2" mesh half way up to keep the mice out until I could redo the whole thing with mesh. But Norway rats climbed to the top one night and found some loose staples. Determined to get inside, they worked at the chicken wire, got inside and killed half my birds.
I would just hate to see this happen to someone else!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
That is the first thing I thought of. You have such a lovely set-up and I love your sign.

But a big red flag went up when I saw that chicken wire, anything can get in and racoons can go thru it like it is paper and will rip up your birds. I've seen it, and heard of many others making the mistake of using chicken wire as a barrier.

If you have any wild animals-like racoons, you need either wire fencing wrapped around the chicken wire, or 1/2 inch heavy gage hardware cloth. I use a larger gage because my coop closes off from the aviary at night and no raccoons or mice can get in that.

Whatever barrier you use between the birds and the outside world should have no larger openings then 1/4 inch and should be hardware cloth of a strong gage.

Make sure cats, rats, mice, racoons cannot dig under the aviary either.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Thats true Rackerman--never saw that chicken wire--boy that needs to be corrected and when you do the wiring some of the wire about 5 inches maybe more--someone will help you with this needs to be set below the soil---thats a real danger that is set up to let critters in and that would be heartbreaking for you two...Trees Grey is absolutely right.....Building lofts and pens have all kinds of things you must figure in and worry about and you know that now I am sure--money comes and goes--comes and goes--but pretty soon you have something you are really proud of...good job...c.hert

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
It's getting there!
You might want to put a few more vertical posts to help support the wire better, and lots more perches.
I don't know which way the winter snow will drift in?
Ive had what you have, and other lofts also, but I've settled on my small 4x4x8 foot loft, and make sure that they get enough flying time. That's for Flying type Pigeons. :)
Or rather than another vertical - you could also just do a diagonal 2x4 connected from the bottom of the corner 2x4 to the top of the shed enclosure (that would give some needed lateral support and also provide a good surface to nail more covering & add some perches and\or shelves to) You are gonna have some happy pigeons there !

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Msfreebird mentioned Norway Rats and I would like to know what these things are and are they like the Nutria rat down south or something and do they come here or are they here in Colorado--mice are here and skunks and in some sections those small snakes but I live in the city and does that matter---would not want them climbing into my loft and what do they eat?? (eggs or pigeons) Maybe you better reinforce your wire double Rackerman and if they are here in Denver maybe I will overlay mine as well--but I am pretty secure but one never knows...How big do they get???? c.hert

·
Registered
671 Posts
Nice loft. Be careful nothing digs its way through the dirt and hurt one of the birds.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lookin good!
My old flight cage had chicken wire, so I put 1/2" mesh half way up to keep the mice out until I could redo the whole thing with mesh. But Norway rats climbed to the top one night and found some loose staples. Determined to get inside, they worked at the chicken wire, got inside and killed half my birds.
I'm working to make it better.......Thanks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I apreciate all your advice here very much. I am doing all I can do and just built this fly pen. Please know, all advise is well taken, cause I know someone has been there and thats what this forum is all about. I will do all in my power to keep my birds safe and sound. I will add the wire cloth and more support beams, just need more time! I don't feed my bird there, so there is not no feed to draw anything there, NOT saying it won't happen. I feed my birds out of a rabbit cage that hangs on one wall and I have a caught pan under it that i take care of, but I still have to figure out how to make that better & I will. My birds love the pen and so do I and I will take all suggestions to make it better. I thank you all for your advise and support, thats what makes this forum so GREAT........:) THANKS EVERYONE WHO POST IN THIS THREAD!!

G

·
I apreciate all your advice here very much. I am doing all I can do and just built this fly pen. Please know, all advise is well taken, cause I know someone has been there and thats what this forum is all about. I will do all in my power to keep my birds safe and sound. I will add the wire cloth and more support beams, just need more time! I don't feed my bird there, so there is not no feed to draw anything there, NOT saying it won't happen. I feed my birds out of a rabbit cage that hangs on one wall and I have a caught pan under it that i take care of, but I still have to figure out how to make that better & I will. My birds love the pen and so do I and I will take all suggestions to make it better. I thank you all for your advise and support, thats what makes this forum so GREAT........:) THANKS EVERYONE WHO POST IN THIS THREAD!!
I think its great that you are doing all you can for your birds and Im sure they are loving you for it too... I do agree that the mouse factor is a big thing as I have had partyphoid on my loft more then I care to and I attribute that to the ability that mice can acess my loft and thats even with 1/2 inch wire all around .. keeping our bird safe is whats its all about so keep up the great work ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Rackerman,
A true labor of love :) Awesome. Looks like you have a good start. Noticed you have a pan to catch the spilt food, nice. Good luck man,peace, YaSin :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lookin good!

Or.........you could just put them in every night.:D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THHATS JUST WHAT i DO AT NIGHT, i LOCK THEM INSIDE. WE BUILD A SLIDING WINDOW, USING AN OLD LICENSE PLATE, ITS OPEN AT DAWN AND SHUT AT NIGHT. I WOULD THINK THAT SHOULD WORK TO KEEP CRITTERS OUT.
Or.........you could just put them in every night.:D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rackerman,
A true labor of love :) Awesome. Looks like you have a good start. Noticed you have a pan to catch the spilt food, nice. Good luck man,peace, YaSin :)
YaSin, yes that is a caught pan for spilt food. I am trying to figure out a better way. I want to build something that the spilt food will slide down a trought and into a box that I can rid of everyday or two. I have a idea, just no material at this time. I will post it when I do make it.....Thanks man...:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The birds seem to really be enjoying it. It's nice, but yes, the hardware cloth is what you need to cover it with. And the birds should be fed inside the loft. Some of the seeds that get thrown will go way past the pan and will attract rodents. If mice get into the pen, and the birds in pecking around pick up rodent droppings, they can get salmonella.And make sure that nothing can dig under it, as rats and raccoons will. Rats will kill your birds in a slaughter. You did a great job though, just a few little things and it'll be perfect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts