Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
i been looking for racers for a while now but all i see is their parents race result or breed for stock birds.

does anyone have racers with real race results they want to let go.?
i think you should just buy 2010 young birds .... race results depend on the bird and the trainer,

if you buy a bird with race results , all you can do is to breed him that it, you cant fly him ... he might go home.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We just had a member of our Black Hills Racing Club pass away. His brother has asked that we disperse of the birds. He activily raced with us for as long as I can remember, so the birds have been raced. Cost is just what it would cost to ship them from Rapid City, SD. Contact me privately, Jim at [email protected]

G

·
We just had a member of our Black Hills Racing Club pass away. His brother has asked that we disperse of the birds. He activily raced with us for as long as I can remember, so the birds have been raced. Cost is just what it would cost to ship them from Rapid City, SD. Contact me privately, Jim at [email protected]
i think this woul;d be a great opportunity for anyone wanting to jump on into the world of pigeons and racing ... may I ask how many birds here are in need of a home and to be placed ?? sorry for your clubs and their familysd loss :(

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think you should just buy 2010 young birds .... race results depend on the bird and the trainer,

if you buy a bird with race results , all you can do is to breed him that it, you cant fly him ... he might go home.

honestly m.o.; after i thought about it a while.
"breed for stock"
a cull in my head.

you dont know if it will preform as those in the peds.
but im not a racing expert.
please dont get offended.

in roller pigeons.
if you breed two really good rollers.
the chances of you getting something like or close to the parents are only 10percent.

and i have had rollers for 6 years.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If you get ten percent really good racers from your breeders, you have been an exceptionally lucky person. Many flyers with a loft of nothing but great birds in their lofts, can beat that number of course. But few newbies can. Without spending a lot of money.

No one who knows what they are doing in this sport, is going to let go of their best breeders. Unless they just happen to like you for some reason. If a person like that has to get out of the sport, they know plenty of people to funnel those really good breeders to, instead of a stranger.

Now don't get me wrong. You can get good breeders from many. Just not their BEST. IMO.

If I am a racing enthusiast, why in the world would I sell my best? Money? No. Winning means more to me than money.

Of course there are some who will disagree, and to whom money is everything or close to it. But, IMO, when it comes to serious racing enthusiasts, it ain't about the money. It is about being on top.

You can go to PiPa (pigeonparadise.com) and buy birds that have won races against thousands of birds. If you want and can afford to spend big money. Multiple winning birds can be found there, just about any day of the year.

Like most things in life. Money talks. If you ain't got a lot of it. You have to get the best you can afford and work your way up the ladder slowly.

I still say it is more about the handler than the birds. IMO, it is the opposite of poker. In poker it is 90% luck and 10% skill. In pigeon racing it is 10% luck and 90% skill.

Other opinions will naturally vary. For sure. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you get ten percent really good racers from your breeders, you have been an exceptionally lucky person. Many flyers with a loft of nothing but great birds in their lofts, can beat that number of course. But few newbies can. Without spending a lot of money.

No one who knows what they are doing in this sport, is going to let go of their best breeders. Unless they just happen to like you for some reason. If a person like that has to get out of the sport, they know plenty of people to funnel those really good breeders to, instead of a stranger.

Now don't get me wrong. You can get good breeders from many. Just not their BEST. IMO.

If I am a racing enthusiast, why in the world would I sell my best? Money? No. Winning means more to me than money.

Of course there are some who will disagree, and to whom money is everything or close to it. But, IMO, when it comes to serious racing enthusiasts, it ain't about the money. It is about being on top.

You can go to PiPa (pigeonparadise.com) and buy birds that have won races against thousands of birds. If you want and can afford to spend big money. Multiple winning birds can be found there, just about any day of the year.

Like most things in life. Money talks. If you ain't got a lot of it. You have to get the best you can afford and work your way up the ladder slowly.

I still say it is more about the handler than the birds. IMO, it is the opposite of poker. In poker it is 90% luck and 10% skill. In pigeon racing it is 10% luck and 90% skill.

Other opinions will naturally vary. For sure. :)

i am not a pigeon racing expert bit i think it is 99 % skill from the birds. and only 1 percent luck, in a racing world where wing strength is the money spot no luck in the world is going to help you win.

ie. those birds that wins 10 first. its not luck, its pure skill. no one have the luck to win that many times, it is like winning the lotto 10 times in a row.

like the jannsen bros. their birds were extremely fast. won for several years in their career. its not luck its pure skill from the birds.

if it really were the handlers;
give the super lucky and skill fulled handler a few racers that were breed for color and make him or her race it, i am sure it wont make if back from a few blocks no matter how he or her trains them.

give them some decent racers. it will never make it 1st.
there are other racers that were bred right and has the potential and heart to win a racer across the sea. decent racer will make it back from 100 miles.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
So much to debate there. I will just say that calling a bird a decent racer and then saying that it will only make it from 100 miles, is NOT a decent bird. It is barely better than a cat or dog.

A decent racer should make it back from 500 miles, but a lot slower than many of the other birds.

I said that IMO, pigeon racing is 90% the handler. I did not say that it is 90% luck. I said it was 10% luck.

Either you misunderstood my posting, or I misunderstand your posting. Of course there are better birds and worse birds. But the difference NEAR the top, is miniscule or at least low (bird ability wise). The difference between the SKILLS of the handlers is also low in may cases, but it is still there.

Another way to put it, IMO. Is that the difference between 1st and 4th, is the handler and not the bird. In a normal close race. Now, in a 500 mile race and the winning bird comes in today and the 4th place bird comes in tomorrow, is a little more indicative of a slightly larger gap between the two birds. But not much. There are so many other factors involved. Loft location is one big one, and luck is also included. What if one had to detour because a hawk was on its tail? Or it was missing a flight and should not have went? Or it had worms? ect.

I firmly believe that Ludo Claessens could take the birds from my loft or yours, and add no others, and win a lot of races.

That is my opinion and others will vary.

If luck was not involved, I would never win a race (and I have). If bird skill was all it took, I could win them all, by spending a fortune.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers. If you got the money go for the best of the best and breed. Many factors make a winning bird, breeding is one of them. Now if you read back into this forum your discussion has been discussed over and over with many different people believing in many different methods. I wish you the best, just not against me.

God Bless,
Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts