Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I have been keeping Birmingham Rollers for a few months, and we are getting ready to open up our new loft. The new loft has space for two breeds of pigeons, and we have decided that we would like homing pigeons. We're not planning to race, just train them and take them for drops of 30 to 50 miles. My wife has voiced her opinion, and thinks we should get white birds. She has always wanted doves, and she also thinks that maybe she wants to do white dove releases.

So here we are searching for white homing pigeons. We are on a tight budget, so would like to help someone out :cool: by taking some of their excess stock off of their hands. I can drive within a reasonable distance from Eastern Massachusetts to pick up birds, or maybe we can work out shipping. Let me know if you have white homers that you need to find homes for.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
so are you looking for breeding pairs of white homers or young birds?. usually the breeding will start at the end of the year or early next year, some do sell white young birds for profit all year, but you would have to do your home work to make sure they come form a decent breeder who takes care of his birds and does not have sickness in the loft. Older breeders can not be flown and they would be prisoners you have to feed and take care of but not fly.

Just to add, you should buy banded birds, if the breeder bands their birds you know they like to keep track of them and put in the money to buy the bands and make the effort to put a seemless on them shows more responsiblity and not just a mass breeder of white birds who does not want to spend the money on bands because he has so many.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so are you looking for breeding pairs of white homers or young birds?. usually the breeding will start at the end of the year or early next year, some do sell white young birds for profit all year, but you would have to do your home work to make sure they come form a decent breeder who takes care of his birds and does not have sickness in the loft. Older breeders can not be flown and they would be prisoners you have to feed and take care of but not fly.
I would take squeakers if I can find them, or breeders if I can't find squeakers. If I get breeders, I expect that I won't have birds to train until next spring. I know there must be somebody out there with white homers, whose loft is bursting at the seams. :cool:

I'm thinking how nice it would be to take the birds with me to work in the morning and release them. It is about thirty miles from my home. On the other hand, my wife thinks she would like to do white-dove releases. She almost has me convinced, because we couldn't find anyone doing it in our area. Seems a bit odd, as we are twenty miles south of Boston.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Right--If a bird is not Worth putting a 45 cent band on it--its worth "zero" to me.
And some breeders want $15-$20 or more for an unbanded bird--Plus a Box -plus postage.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Ptras,

I have at least one youngster for you. I still have a few in the nest that you may be interested in. The one that I can let go for sure is banded with a 2008 band and I believe one of the chicks is too( one has a black tail). One of the chicks isnt banded. I simply ran out of bands( all of the supply houses were out!)! This was a great year for breeding. I use these guys for my dove release. I would like to see them go for $20 each, but I can let them go for $15. You could come get them if you want to see my loft or we can meet half way!

·
Registered
362 Posts
PS. I know, I know what youre thinkin, unbanded birds= bird worth 0$
I planned on banding the ones that I missed with left over giant runt bands. Figured it would be better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to add, you should buy banded birds, if the breeder bands their birds you know they like to keep track of them and put in the money to buy the bands and make the effort to put a seemless on them shows more responsiblity and not just a mass breeder of white birds who does not want to spend the money on bands because he has so many.
I actually exchanged email with a guy a couple hours from me who does white dove releases. He bands all his birds with AU bands, and additionally bands them with colored bands to help identify them (he told me it is very difficult to determine who is who by color :p). He doesn't currently have any squeakers, and he's not selling his fliers or breeders. He told me he could breed some squeakers for me, but they won't be ready for a few months.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Ptras,

I do the same thing. All are banded with AU, with the exception of a few (late comers). It turns out that 2 two of 3 that are banded (all white), 1 has AU 2008 and 1 actually does have AU 2010. I will post pictures in a few. I wormed earlier in the year before breeding with bayverm. I also live in NH, a few hours from you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts