Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted you ladies and gents input as this is the first time that i donot have alot of room , I fly my pouters from my balcony i have a 12 hole setup each hole is is the required size for them so their happy. And dont take up that much room . But i want to get started on racers again in miami i had a big yard so my loft was 16ft long by16 ft wide by 8 ft tall. But now im stationed in Fort drum and all i have is a small balcony and a huge garage i have heard of flyers keeping thier birds in their garages my question is once i build this small loft 8ftlong x 6ft wide x 8ft tall would i be able to divide it down the middle and seperate my breeders from my flyers would it be enough
room for them.?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a loft about that size I use just for my hens when not breeding. It was my starter loft. My opinion about splitting in 1/2 to seperate racers and breeders would be: Probaly not enuff room for YOU to move arround to clean and feed. Catching for a race would be easy and birds should be tame they will be useto you. But The area would only be 3x8 or 4x6 each. The nest boxes will make the area small fast. If you don't have prisoner breeders and have wood eggs the small loft would be ok for a small team to share with breeders, the nest boxes will also doubble as perches. Here is an idea. If you do devide the loft the exterior "wall" could be 2 doors. By opening the door (wall) there would be room for YOU to clean and the birds can go through the trap to re-enter. A screened door could help prevent flyaways on days you don't want birds to get out. A large avery split like the loft will increase the birds living area also.

·
Registered
457 Posts
A 4x4 section is good enough for 6-9 racers. I had one aproximately that size at my old place and it worked great. I only put 6 perches in that loft, but it had enough room for 9 perches comfortably.

If you want to race old birds you can divide the 8ft loft into two 4x4 section and breed in the garage. Just keep the numbers down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts