Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Just found out that our very own Warren Smith is to be the scheduled guest on Pigeon TV tonight starting at 7:30! The web addressis:

www.pigeontv.com

Everyone make sure you tune in and get a chance to hear what our illustrious colleague has to say about our sport!

Dan

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hey, just stopping in to drop a quick update....but how did you guys know about this already ?

I'm not the "star" guest, I am the second half of the show. I told John he better be "gentle" with me....:rolleyes:....don't want this to be like a Congressional "Hearing" !

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Thank you guys !

I think we might have a Counter Mark machine for the club with all the kids in Iowa...from a person on this site !!!

You always think....I should of said this or that...the time goes by so fast...and you are nervous.

I wanted a plug more for the AU Youth Fund and the kids "Loft Stormers", more then talking about me.

If anyone has an extra buck or two they can spare, or some birds, or whatever, here is a guy who is really doing something positive. Some of these kids have special needs. Here is a chance, to do something really good, which will impact these kids in a positive way.

If you send that buck or two to the AU Youth Fund, tell them you want Warren to match it, .....I will leverage it, and match it $1 for $1 up to a total of $500. It may mean sending 1 less bird to a One Loft Race, but I want to put some money where my mouth is. It brought tears to my eyes hearing what Bill is doing. A kind word, or any help you may wish to offer, if you PM me, I will send you his phone number and address. Don't want to put his number here.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Is there a link on the AU web site for this fund?

All I could find was this page concerning youth projects.

http://www.pigeon.org/schoolprojects.htm

I will try to find out, I could not find one...maybe that means there should be one !!

You could call, they will take a credit card. Or mail a check.

American Racing Pigeon Union
PO Box 18465
Oklahoma City
OK 73154-0465
Tel: 405-848-5801

In the mean time, I will contact Deone and/or Karen and let them know of my matching funds. Knowing you Condition freak, you will do your best to break my piggy bank ! ;)

I will ask for the link, and if there isn't one, then I will suggest a special one be made available if possible.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Ralph and Brenda Johnson answer the call for help !

I would like to briefly share with you an update from the 4/9/09 PigeonTV show. There were some technical difficulties during the show resulting in a "Black Out" which is why it is being rebroadcast in two parts. For a limited time, you can still see the show if you missed it at the following link :

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=5UuqZ&m=1g3n3rFpzsS.QT&b=y71PmYVZZa2UTAHhirELIg

One of things I wanted to talk about was sport promotion, and I spoke of a gentlemen named Bill Halter from Ackley, Iowa. What makes this such a unique and heart warming story, is the measure of success that Bill has enjoyed in such a very short period of time, by introducing young people and their parents to the joys of homing pigeons. A number of these kids are special needs children that often face barriers to many activities.

Bill had read the article which was published in the RPD concerning the sport promotion we were doing here in the YRPC. Bill told me my article had inspired him, and so he was going to do something about the lack of a Homing pigeon club in Ackley, Iowa.

Well, he certainly did, and then some ! At his first meeting in January, he signed up 7 Jr. members and 4 adults, and it seems to be growing by the hour almost. When I did the show on April 9th, he was up to 19 members, and since that show a day or so ago, he reported they were now up to 22 members !!!

One of the needs that they had, was a counter mark machine, and so during the show, I asked if any listener would be willing to donate a machine for this brand new club called "Loft Stormers".

Well, prayers are sometimes answered, and I am so very proud to report, that one of those listeners actually made it happen ! And surprise surprise, this very generous donor also happens to be a member of Pigeon Talk. I hope he is not embarrassed by me making this public, but it is our very own "pigeon_racer" aka Ralph & Brenda Johnson !!!!

Bill Halter called me today just to tell me he now has a beautiful counter mark machine in his hands, and it will make it possible for these kids to enjoy pigeon racing this fall. And it is all because of the generosity of Ralph and Brenda, who by the way have their own separate lofts and loft names, Brenda's "Phantom Loft" and I'm told she wins the most, and Ralph's "Black Thorn".

It's people like Bill, Ralph and Brenda that inspire me !!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Warren, you are all right in my book. Cannot break your bank but I will send $25 and also call them and see if they want white homers. But only because you asked, and to help kids, and because it is a good cause, and because I'm a suck up...

God Bless,

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Warren, you are all right in my book. Cannot break your bank but I will send $25 and also call them and see if they want white homers. But only because you asked, and to help kids, and because it is a good cause, and because I'm a suck up...

God Bless,
You are a God send....

I suspect after having spoken to Bill on numerous occasions, that they will take black, blue, red, white and any other color. The only obvious thing which is wanted, is healthy birds. I'm attempting to secure some birds from combine members, so there will be birds coming from a lot of different places. Hopefully, Bill will be able to manage the situation so new strains of canker are not introduced into these inexperienced loft manager's loft's.

What was once a tiny little mustard seed, seems to have sprouted and now is a healthy vine. What I find really exciting is reports that a similar group may be springing up in California. Don't want to get too overly optimistic, but the model which we wrote about in the AU newsletter, and was published in the RPD, seems to be taking root, but it is still early in the game, but I am ecouraged that program is working elsewhere.

If you didn't see the article in the AU newsletter, which Bill read, took to heart, and then ran with it, then here it is:
http://smithfamilyloft.com/AUSpring08Newsletter.pdf

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
MANY THANKS for posting the link to your article, Warren!!

You are a TRUE credit to the sport of pigeon racing!! WELL DONE!!

My pijies and I wish you all the best. While we cannot fly, we send our message: May the racing homing pigeons always have wind beneath their wings to bring them safely home!

Love , Hugs and Scritches

Shi/Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/Woe :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.