Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We talk about heritage a lot. How many amongst us have blood relative's, past or present involved in bird's?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My Grandfather kept Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Quail, Pigeons, as well as many other Fowl, His Pigeons were settled Homers that had Shabby Nests, nailed to the side of the Chicken house. BUT he Loved his Pigeons!
He was the only Relative to keep Pigeons, God i Loved that Man...Dave

·
Registered
499 Posts
yes, my Grandfather, that i never had the chance to meet,raised homing pigeons.maybe it runs in the blood.lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, my Grandfather, that i never had the chance to meet,raised homing pigeons.maybe it runs in the blood.lol
I
I think it doe's, I met my one granfather. But not the other.
My Mom said to me all the time, your just like your granfather. I did'nt get it until I brought six pullett's back home to put into the coalshedd.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I am the first person in my family that raise pigeons! Back in Asia, I think most raise farm animals in rural areas. My grandfolks have those. I've been around all animals all my life.

·
Registered
875 Posts
my kid is pigeon crazy from a young age(shes now 7)she got me hooked, although i had always admired them and living in city when growing up ,we fed lots of pigeons

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm what one calls the "black sheep" of the family (not a bad thing ... I like sheep.:D) Oh - they all loved animals and we always had dogs and cats .... but I brought 'it' (anything and everything) home - or 'it' followed me - and I raised, rehabbed, released, whatever was needed. Birds, raccoons, opossum, rabbit, deer, dogs, cats, snakes, mice, turtles, you name it - I had it! They really should have expected it, though!! My first word was "bird" and that was my nickname - FOREVER!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Up until 1999, I couldn't have cared less about a pigeon........I honestly can't ever remember an occasion where I might have seen one in my entire life. I'm sure that I did at SOME time......but it sure didn't stand out as one of "those" moments in my life. I don't really mean that I didn't CARE about pigeons....I've always been an animal lover/person, so IF I had ever run across one that looked like it needed help, I'm sure I would have tried the same as I would have a dog or cat or rabbit or what ever else I might have come across. Just never happened. Till this day, 10 years later, I've NEVER come across a pigeon that needed my help, other than the lost race birds that I might get a call about once in a while.
One Sunday afternoon and a flea market..........the rest is history. :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
My uncle had outstanding racing birds that were kept in a barn at my Grandmother's house. When he passed away, my father bought the house and along with it I got the birds. About 125. I was only12 and couldn't care for them. My uncle had a partner that came and took the birds and all the trophy's that they had won except for a couple that I still have. Until last year, I didn't have the time to care for birds. I built the loft and now I have about 35 birds. They multiply fast along with their undivided love that they give and ask nothing in return.

George

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have past relatives who have raised birds just like me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Everyone in my family thought that it was just a kid thing. As I grew up, they thought I might be mentally defective.
No, almost sixty years later, I am beginning to think they were right on both counts.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I just found out that I am the first person in my ancestry to raise pigeons! It seemed that none of my previous relatives ever raise pigeons. I tried to remember up to my great-grandfather's time whether they raise any. This is scary! And I found out about pigeons in an encyclopedia because my family was the very first to acquire an encyclopedia! This is too weird. It seems that having a pigeon is a novelty in my family, relatives and ancestors.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm the first one in my family to have pigeons, though my Mom loved them as a kid. My Grandfather would take her to the park with a salt shaker and tell her if she sprinkle salt on their tails they wouldn't be able to fly away, and if she caught one she could keep it!

Imagine his surprise when she came running over with a pigeon in her hands one day!!
He had to let her bring it home and my Grandmother almost had a heart attack when she came running into the house and let it loose!

I have always loved pigeons. Always wanted them. I'd get rescues in from time to time but they were always releasable. (dang it)

When I got "Brooklyn" 3 years ago I raised him, gave him free access to the great outdoors, and he chose to stay. I was elated, and we've been together since (we just had our 3 year anniversary, LOL).

Now I have my loft, everyone in my family thinks I'm nuts, and people always seem totally shocked to learn that I keep pigeons - but I know I have found something that will be a part of the rest of my life. I really really love this hobby.

:)

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Everyone in my family thought that it was just a kid thing. As I grew up, they thought I might be mentally defective.
No, almost sixty years later, I am beginning to think they were right on both counts.
:D ROFLMAO! I'm sure you are not alone...in what others think, from what I've seen and heard on this site! Still :D

Found myself watching pigeons on my walks and would see beautiful colors. Contacted Cornell Lab of Ornithology about their Project PigeonWatch. Received info about morphs (colors), etc. but never did a "study."

THEN, one fateful morning in 2003, found a badly wing injured "squeaker" racing homing pigeon. Brought him home, contacted and found help and Avian Vet. Wing had to be partially amputated. No more fly! He is now KING of his domain! We call him MR. Squeaks!

Found Cindy (AZWhitefeather) and this site...the rest is history.

Now have 3 more pijies and down to 2 cats from 4 when Mr. Squeaks was found.

Fur 'n Feather adventures abound!

Love and Hugs

Shi :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts