Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been given a very large ornamental bowl of unglazed ceramic, and I think it would make a perfect bird bath IF it could be waterproofed.
I don't think non-toxic paint would work, as they'd scratch it with their nails. I've got polyurethane varnish, but is that toxic to birds?

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I've been given a very large ornamental bowl of unglazed ceramic, and I think it would make a perfect bird bath IF it could be waterproofed.
I don't think non-toxic paint would work, as they'd scratch it with their nails. I've got polyurethane varnish, but is that toxic to birds?
Hi TERESA, when I read the title the first thought that cross my mind was that you were going to waterproof the bird LOL LOL AT MY SELF. To get to your question I am not sure if the polyurthane is safe for the birds the other thing I wonder if the ceramic bowl has a large lead content and if so this will have an effect on the birds as lead is a heavy metal and that can be toxic to birds. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi TERESA, when I read the title the first thought that cross my mind was that you were going to waterproof the bird LOL LOL AT MY SELF.
OMG, George, what a thought :eek: ! Set your mind at rest, my birds will have no waterproofing but the one they produce themselves! :D

To get to your question I am not sure if the polyurthane is safe for the birds the other thing I wonder if the ceramic bowl has a large lead content and if so this will have an effect on the birds as lead is a heavy metal and that can be toxic to birds. GEORGE;)
That's a good point! These handcrafted items are *supposed* to be of food quality, but we can never know for sure. However, if they were given 3 or 4 even coats of polyurethane varnish, I bet whatever was under that would never be in contact with the water again. I've got a table that was finished that way, and it's waterproof, heatproof and scratchproof. You should see my cat Lawrence skidding on it, it makes him dowright furious! :D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts