Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took in a rescue feral pigeon about a month ago. Unable to fly so can't be released (we have an aviary with a couple of other non flyers). The bird came to us a little underweight but otherwise seemed well, poos were normal at this stage. We put her in with another non-flyer we have, kept them separate for a week then let them hang out and they have subsequently paired up. In the last couple of weeks the new pigeon has developed watery poos (see attached).

We gave her Harka-mectin for worms etc and Spartrix for canker about 5 days ago, neither has changed her poo which currently sits in a pool of water, seems like she isn't reabsorbing the liquid from her gut. From reading online it seems the next thing to try is an antibiotic but I'm wondering which one? She otherwise seems well. Eating and drinking fine, doing all the usual courting stuff with her partner. The other pigeon she has paired with has normal poo.

I live in the UK so any advice about what this might be and what treatment I can try would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What are you feeding her?

Try some added probiotics and/or organic apple cider vinegar in her water ( a drop to a small bowl of water), that will regenerate good gut bacteria and make poop firm and she will digest her food better too..

Here is a great UK link with all kinds of resources and info: http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/rescuecentres.htm

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Very odd looking poops.

Might be useful to send a sample to Retford Poultry, a testing lab we use. That way there's a better chance of finding out what the problem could be, and therefore treating it (they have a vet so also sell the meds).

Otherwise, difficulty is that no antibiotics can be purchased in the UK without a vet prescription, and an avian vet might anyway have to send off samples (at more cost) having seen the bird. Many vets won't deal with pigeons anyway.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/postaltesting.htm

Phone and request a kit.

Otherwise, if you are on Facebook, there's a UK group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PigeonProtection

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John D and Skyeking for your replies. I've been feeding her Versele-Laga All Round Pigeon Mix with some hemp seeds mixed in. Perhaps too many hemp seeds? They do seem to love them. She has access to grit and I sometimes cut up greens for them although they don't seem that keen.

I've started the apple cider vinegar in the drinking water today and have ordered probiotics and a postal testing kit.

Could it be the food I'm giving her? Do you have any suggestions for other types of foods to try?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

Good moves :)

Seems to me the food is probably fine. We give our rescue aviary birds a purpose mixed food, too, and they do good on it.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I don't think the food is the issue, however if they are getting too much fatty seeds as a snack that doesn't help. Fat containing seeds should be only 2% of the entire mix. My birds loved safflower seeds and if they gtt too many of those they get some nasty wet poops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts