Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago now, my husband and I found a Pigeon on our walk that looked injured. We decided if he was still there on the way back we'd get a carrier and call the rescue in the morning. He surprisingly went into the cat carrier without much fuss. The next morning we called the rescue but they said they legally couldn't take any more pigeons, as they were at capacity. My vet was closed that day so I relocated him to a dog run in our back yard so I could give him some food and water, and in case he decided to fly. There's a dog house in there so that's where I put the food and water. He did not fly away and seems to have happily taken refuge in the dog house. I felt bad locking a wild pigeon in a cat carrier and he was walking fine and looked healthy otherwise, so we decided to give him some time and if he was still there in the morning we'd take him to the vet.

The next morning, the sweet boy hopped in the cat carrier with minimal problems and was taken to the vet I use for my other pet regularly. The vet said his wing isn't broken, and that he appears healthy, and that he does NOT recommend euthanasia, but is unsure why he won't fly. Unfortunately, he didn't have much more advice than what we were already doing for him.

After giving him a couple of weeks to heal, he still hasn't decided to leave. He has a large dog dish full of water that he occasionally poops in, and a bird feeder of dove food (the only thing Petco had on short notice), and recently I tried to give him a paper toy to shred. At this point, people are saying we have a pet pigeon. He doesn't have any visible tags or bracelets, and despite being very cooperative and non-aggressive, he also seems relatively still afraid of us.

If he's not going to leave, then I want to make sure he's cared for as best as I can. If possible I'd even like to be able to pet/hold him. He only ever let me pet him once, the day after we picked him up (presumably as a thank you?). So I have a few questions, is it ok to keep him outside? Should I get him a coop? I do have dogs and cats, and while they are very well trained, they're still animals and he's still a bird so I feel he's safest in that run with the most space to roam freely (the dogs have never used it). I do have a room that he could be secluded in, in a cage, if the inside is necessary, but that feels so restrictive for him. Any ideas why he isn't flying? We theorized just a bruise, or a sprain, or a previous break that healed incorrectly. I've asked so many people I know for advice but not many people know a whole lot about these chonky muffins. I just want to make sure he's happy and healthy so any and all advice is welcome.

P.S. Sorry for assuming it's gender, I don't actually know if it's a male.
Also, I checked out some of the care forums and plan to get him some cuttlebones, and fruits/veggies, and probiotics so we can try that and the ACV water for him.
I will also be giving him a brick! I was worried about finding him a perch, so I found it very interesting that they like bricks!

First Picture is from the night we found him, the other 2 are his current situation. Always has that same face ._.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
He does not sound like a wild pigeon to me. Maybe someones escaped pet. That first day you found him, he was probably weak from starvation and that's why he acted tame.

Do you have room available for an aviary in your garden? You can put perches and some sort of a ladder inside. He will hop from one perch to the other till he reaches the highest spot. They prefer to sleep in a high spot from the ground for safety. Perches should also be flat, that's why they prefer bricks. Once he has settled in, get him a handicapped female. No human can replace the company of another pigeon.

You can also supply him with grit from a petshop. Impossible to say why he is not flying. His droppings are looking good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He does not sound like a wild pigeon to me. Maybe someones escaped pet. That first day you found him, he was probably weak from starvation and that's why he acted tame.

Do you have room available for an aviary in your garden? You can put perches and some sort of a ladder inside. He will hop from one perch to the other till he reaches the highest spot. They prefer to sleep in a high spot from the ground for safety. Perches should also be flat, that's why they prefer bricks. Once he has settled in, get him a handicapped female. No human can replace the company of another pigeon.

You can also supply him with grit from a petshop. Impossible to say why he is not flying. His droppings are looking good.
Should I put up flyers or something to find the owner?

As far as an aviary, could we convert the dog run into an aviary? (pic attached) We'd clean it up and add a roof/ astroturf of course.
The chain link is on the inside of the wall, and the difference between it and the ground is currently made up for with chicken wire (held by those bricks at the bottom).
He's in the dog house currently, the plywood is to block the view of overhead predators, but there's space for him to hop in and out on the sides.

Omg, a handicapped female! I hadn't considered that but hell yeah, I wonder if our local wildlife rescue would mind adopting one out to me.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
You can turn that into a beautiful aviary, just make 100 % sure no predators (even rats) can get inside. Put lots of perches inside. There are so many pigeons up for adoption. You can join the Palomacy rescue group for pigeons and doves on Facebook and you will get a handicapped pigeon easily. With all that size available, you can adopt more pigeons in need.

Don't bother trying to locate the owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can turn that into a beautiful aviary, just make 100 % sure no predators (even rats) can get inside. Put lots of perches inside. There are so many pigeons up for adoption. You can join the Palomacy rescue group for pigeons and doves on Facebook and you will get a handicapped pigeon easily. With all that size available, you can adopt more pigeons in need.

Don't bother trying to locate the owner.
Thank you so much for all your help!

One last question. What's the best way to go about earning his trust?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
You can offer him chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. Pigeons love them. Give in moderation, as this has a high fat content. First put some with his food, and when he starts eating them you can offer from your hand.

Over time he might learn to trust you. Never chase him, rather let him come to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts