Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have a light in my coop so I just hold the egg with my thumb and pointer fingers wrapped around the egg and hold it up close to the light. If it's good within a week you'll see a few lil veins in the egg. And as time goes on the egg will turn darker and you will not be able to see light through it any more except on the one side where a lil pocket will form b4 the baby fills almost the whole egg. By then the baby should already be starting to peck it's way out.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I sometimes hold an egg against a sun and I can see some veins. No need to candle. I call it sundling. LOL!

I also sometimes use a flashlight on a dark room. Basically I hold an egg on my hand (cupping it) and put a flashlight below it while shining on it. I can see some veins, too. Maybe I should call that flashling. LOL!

Most of the time pigeon eggs are fertile!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I sometimes hold an egg against a sun and I can see some veins. No need to candle. I call it sundling. LOL!

I also sometimes use a flashlight on a dark room. Basically I hold an egg on my hand (cupping it) and put a flashlight below it while shining on it. I can see some veins, too. Maybe I should call that flashling. LOL!

Most of the time pigeon eggs are fertile!
We are just concerned we have one hen sitting and the eggs should be hatching any time. But she is very timid and keeps jumping off the nest when we go in. I just concerned that we may have lost this round.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think I’m just a little over excited. I went out to feed this morning and was going to check the eggs of this one hen think they may be bad. So what do I find a chick in the middle of coming into this world? Here I was about ready to pull the eggs and bang we have number 5 with only one more to go so I will slowdown and let the Creator stay in control.
Will post the picture this afternoon, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you move her and check them often, that could make a shy bird take off when you enter the loft. It could also make one abandon the babies. Be careful.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If you move her and check them often, that could make a shy bird take off when you enter the loft. It could also make one abandon the babies. Be careful.
I like the aggressive parents who will bite and slap you with lots of enthusiasm.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I like the aggressive parents who will bite and slap you with lots of enthusiasm.
Yes, I have a few of them also. Lots of people like them. I prefer the friendly ones, as when the parents are calm around me, and friendly, and eat readily from my hand, even with babies present, this is what the babies learn. So they are easier to handle as they grow. But I don't race. Racers often prefer the more aggressive birds. Although you do like to know that they will protect their babies. I'm glad those eggs are hatching for you. Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We have three hens that are now on babies two of which will wing slap you if you get to close the third the eggs just hatching has always been a little skittish. We try to leave her alone as much as we can but just going into the loft and she is off the nest and up high. It is OK as soon as were out she right back on the nest.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Sunday what a great day..... Church is over lunch is done and I get to spend time in the Palamar I (Loft in Spanish) Here are the pic of our little ones. The first two pictures are at three day old two different pair. The last is what we were gifted with today.IMG_0181.jpgIMG_0183.jpgIMG_0180.jpg

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh, they're adorable. Congrats!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Congrats again! I usually give unhatched egg 3 days extra to hatch.

My breeders have mix personalities. I had wing slapped once and I was holding the egg. There went the egg flying, hitting the floor. I've learned my lesson. Hold the egg palms down (or your knuckle is up). That way the parent can wing slap your knuckles instead.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Today we have all six. We have passed the first big test of a new breeder six eggs and 6 babies all doing well. I now just want them to grow up so we can start flying. Thank you God for showing us your love.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts