Pigeon-Talk banner

We have lost a vey special member

17K views 82 replies 71 participants last post by  Hambone 
#1 ·
It truly breaks my heart to make this announcement.

Shi (Mr. Squeaks) passed away at 1:30 this morning.

She called me yesterday afternoon about 1 stating she was feeling quite ill.
I was with my husband who was having a chemotherapy treatment and told her I would come over as soon as he was settled.

When I arrived at her place she was very short of breathe and had clinical signs of a possible heart attack.

I called 911 and it was determined after an initial exam that she be transferred to the hospital immediately.

From the emergnecy room she went straight to the cardiac cath lab to check her arteries. A blood clot was discovered in one of her arteries and it was confirmed did suffer a heart attack. She was transferred to ICU from there.

I spoke with her this morning ( actually yesterday morning) to see how she was doing. She said she was very tired and felt worse today then she did yesterday.
I spoke with Baya (her daughter) later in the day and she said she was doing OK, but not wanting to eat and just very tired.

I received a call around midnight from Baya stating that her Mother was not expected to make it through the night.
Between the afternoon conversation with Baya and when she called at midnight Shi had gone into cardiac arrest twice.

Chuck and I and Kim (KIPPY) along with Baya, her friend and daughter were at her bedside when she passed away.

My apologies if I seem to be rambling. I'm just pretty much at a loss for words right now.

Shi loved all the members here. She will be missed greatly.

Cindy

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm at a loss what to say :(
Ive not been a member here for long, but Shi was always very welcoming to everyone, had a great sense of humour,and will be sadly missed by many.
My thoughts go out to her family & her pigeons who will all miss her terribly.

#5 ·
That's awful news to have to bring, Cindy, but thanks for letting us all know :(

She was indeed a popular member, and it'll be a long time before her banter with the 'nosey members' is forgotten

#6 ·
I'm so shocked and saddened by this heartwrenching news. :(

She was one of my favorite members. She always had a kind word for everyone, and I know she will be greatly missed.

My heartfelt condolensces goes out to her family and her friends.

Thank you for letting us know.

#8 ·
Oh no! :eek: I am truly shocked. Shi was one of my favorite people on this forum. She always had the nicest things to say with lots of encouragement. And she always knew how to make you laugh. I can't believe this :( We've lost a wonderful member, person, and pigeon lover.

#14 ·
This is heartbreaking! Shi always seemed so full of health and energy I expected her to be around forever.

Shi, we will miss you so much. I have been weeping for my lost babies, specially Littlewood, Poppet and My Little Angel...I know that you will find them now and that as their Guardian Angel you will take loving care of them.

#17 ·
Oh my God. I can't belive it. I didn't think Shi would ever die. I know you all understand what I mean.

#18 ·
This may be the single saddest thing I can remember. Like Charis, it never occurred to me there might be a time without Shi around. When I first came to PT with questions because I had found a pigeon, Shi was the first person to really take an interest, and over the years we became long distance friends. She emailed me regularly, and was like a mom, seemingly always worried or concerned and asking me for news and updates about everything. She genuinely took an interest in all people, and cared about everyone. I am not making much sense so I will stop now, but I am so sad and I miss her presence so much.

#20 ·
Unbelievably sad news, totally unexpected. Like everyone else, I couldn't imagine there would be a day when Shi wouldn't be here, sharing her love for all creatures and her sense of humour. I'll miss her more than I can say.
I hope she's flying high and free.

#23 ·
Hi Everyone, this is Baya, Shi's daughter.

I'm cross-posting the message that I typed up on Brad's Site. I just don't have it in me right now to type a fresh one, so if this is a repeat for you, I apologize, but know that the words mean the same, with just as much feeling as they did when I first typed them...

THANK YOU SO MUCH
for being a friend to my mom/Shi! I feel all of your pain & sorrow and like all of you, never thought this day would come so soon. I always knew that when Mom finally passed that it would be sudden, either by an accident or health issue/heart attack. I just didn't expect it at this time. Knowing Mom, she didn't want to deal with any surgeries that she would have had to endure, nor the ensuing meds & treatment. I'm sure most of you are familiar with her views on "modern medicine" & taking care of one's body.

Funny thing about that last part. She had an umbilical hernia that she wouldn't get checked for several years. She also ignored her heart attack symptoms that started the night before she went to the ER. Thank goodness for AZWhiteFeather, as she's the one who 'made' Mom call 911! Mom was so worried about the birds, that she ignored her own health, despite knowing/feeling something was wrong.

Whether or not Mom meant to go last night, I'll never know. I know she would say that it was "obviously her time" and that "things happen for a reason".

She constantly talked about "Brad's Site", PT and all of her pijie friends! You all brought so much joy to her life...and yes, even some consternation, but what "relationship" doesn't have a few bumps in the road here or there?! She'd talk about all of you to the point where my eyes would glaze over after awhile, as the majority of you I didn't know. I just let her 'rattle on', as I knew how important all of you were to her and she did have some interesting stories! (A phone call usually didn't go by without her saying at least once, "Have you been to Brad's Site?" or "You gotta check out this thread on Brad's Site!"!

Now it's on to the "fun" stuff for me. Mom of course is blissfully happy I'm sure..no doubt bouncing all over the place, telling various folks about how she was right about this theory or that life theory! (I can just see her saying, "I KNEW it!!")

As for those of us that she left behind, AZWhiteFeather is helping me with the pijies. The hardest thing I'm having to deal with is what to do about Mom's kitties. She loved her kitties and I don't deal well with having to make a decision about what to do, but I won't go into that right now.

Thank you all again for being here for my mom! I will be having a "Celebration of Life" for her sometime down the road and will post the info when I get to that point. It won't be anytime in the next month and I'll give folks plenty of notice, so if anyone wishes to attend, they will have time to make plans. All of Mom's friends where very important to her and were like "family" to her, so I want everyone to have an opportunity to say "Goodbye" and rejoice in the fact that we were all a part of "Shi's Life Story" in some way or another! :eek:

Take care everyone! Please don't send flowers. I will post who her favorite charity was as soon as I have a chance to go through her records and get a sense of where she would like the extra 'help' sent to!

Love, Hugs & Scritches as Mom would always say...
Baya :*(

(Pete, when Mom talked about you, she always said that you were the "male version" of me and was constantly amazed at how alike our lives & personalities were! She considered you her adopted son, so don't ever forget that and how much she looked forward to your late night chats!!) :D

P.S. Mom's favorite poem that really summed up how she felt about death & dying is this one....

Don't Weep for Me

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sun on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awake in the morning hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.

~Unknown Author​

G
#58 ·
this news truely hurts my heart and leaves me totally without words.. the poem left behind will forever be instilled within my very saddened soul .. :( soar my frend, soar to the heavens and forever feel the wind beneath your wings ...

#24 ·
I just can't believe it's true, cannot imagine logging on here and not seeing her posts ever again. This is just the saddest thing.

Shi had that way of making you feel you'd known her forever, and her sense of humour was wonderful, she always made me laugh.
We had a chuckle over her imaginery birthday cake only last week.

She wouldn't have wanted to fade away but to go so suddenly leaves such a gaping hole in all the lives she's touched that it's almost too hard to bear for those left behind. Can't write now for tears.

Please send love and condolences to her family and to her very special feathered loved ones too, they will miss her so much too.

Will miss you so much Shi.

God Bless,

Janet x

#25 ·
It is very hard to believe that this is real. There was not one person, I am sure, who didn't love Shi. Her bubbly personality and funnies, I will always remember.
Rest in peace dear friend.

Reti

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.