Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home today from riding my horse to find my dark pigeons pecking around in the grass. I started counting to realize there were five of them. I only have 4 dark pigeons and 2 white ones. Then I went and looked in the coop (I let them fly with the little door open) and one of my pairs, a dark pair, were inside. So that meant I had three new pigeons hanging with my flock. They are all pecking around, hanging out, flying together.

I fed mine and called them to the coop. They all came inside and the three stayed on the roof of the coop. I am able to get close enough to see they have no tags/leg bands on them.

Is this common? We live in the "country" and def not near any areas where wild pigeons hang out. Its just very random to suddenly see these pigeons merging with our flock. I also worry about diseases/worms. As long as mine are treated, should they be ok?

·
Registered
145 Posts
you said you tried a feeding call and they were not responsive to it, to me, i would think that that means that they don’t associate with people feeding them so they are somewhat wild birds. And in a small group I would question it even more. I have had birds show up in singles, but never as a group as you have.
if they hang out for a few days try to trap them and medicate them and you have 3 new pet birds!
if you dont want them, dont feed them, they should eventually move on with their business.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well my "feeding call" is to squeel "pretttttty birdddssss" and shake the seed can. lol :p Mine all come climbing through the little escape door. The 3 landed on the roof of the coop and just hung out. We can stand on the far side of the coop and look at the "wild" ones and they are stand offish but not totally scared. Though my pigeons prefer not to get too close. They fly when you try to catch them, etc but dont peck you or anything.

What is the best way to make sure they dont get mine sick? What meds/wormer method would be best? Im still new to the whole pigeon thing so any help would be great! :D

It is strange because I have 2 white pigeons, one is a male and the other is one of his offsprings. My female dog unfortunately got the white mom pigeon last year :( . I havent been able to fully decide if the baby of the big white one is a male or female yet but they always hang out together while the dark grey ones tend to hang out. These 3 new ones are the dark grey ones - the biggest one which I am guessing is a male, is VERY dark, almost black, and then the two other smaller ones are grey and dark but have lots of that purple/green glow to them. They actually sit in the oak trees, while mine prefer the roof of the house or my barn. They have never sat in the trees. Well I saw one of the white ones sitting in the tree with them! lol

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the white one may of found a new mate....If they ever end up going in the coop or if you can get to them at night...I would dust them for lice and deworm them...or do as brandon said and just do not feed them and hope they move on.

had a feeling that is what was going on....

·
Registered
145 Posts
They actually sit in the oak trees, while mine prefer the roof of the house or my barn.
That to me is a sign that they are more feral then domesticated, they feel safe in the trees, where as most domesticated birds would tend to sit on houses/lofts away from the trees. IMO

i have never seen any of my old birds sit in the trees, but they will sit on the house like you said.

And such a dark color and no leg bands, they more then likely arnt a neighbors racing pigeons.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What is the best way to make sure they dont get mine sick? What meds/wormer method would be best?
Well if you do want to keep them, i would set out a waterer for them and medicated it with some type of 3 way meds from a supply company. If they do go in your loft i would spray them down for lice as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I came back out this evening and all of mine are roosting in the coop but no sign of the other 3. I will see if they come back tomorrow.

G

·
ferals are always on the look out for an easy meal so they prolly just figured your flock knew where to go, so they just joined the party ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what I thought. But trust me, he is a HE. He fathered the other white one we have. And he has that big white area on his nose. He was the first one that we let "fly" after we had the pigeons for over 3 months. He was gone almost all day but came home... I hope he comes back.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
"the white one may of found a new mate"....post #5

had a feeling that is what was going on.....he will be back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How long are they usually gone? No sign of him. Hubby saw one of the "wild" pigeons flying earlier but no sign of Big ******. :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Probably until he finds a mate. Keep your fingers crossed he'll be back, I hope. People talk about pigeons all the time leaving, some leave for months, some just days. Him being white and alone isn't that great. Easy for a hawk to see and by himself. But I don't want to think about that. He'll be back. Please keep us posted. My first story I read on here was about tooterville, and I think that pigeon was gone for 8-9 months but he came back and is still there in tooterville. I hope yours has a happy ending. mindy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
How long are they usually gone? No sign of him. Hubby saw one of the "wild" pigeons flying earlier but no sign of Big ******. :(
well if he is sitting on eggs with her somewhere it may be awhile, perhaps he will bring her back to meet the parents sometime. so really there is no time period to give you, if you give your birds open loft then it is not unusual for them to find a place to nest other than the loft and he has to go with what the "little women" likes.... just keep your eye out.:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still no sign. Little ****** looks loney. I guess I need to figure out what LW is so I can get him/her a mate so they dont leave.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts