Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month and a half ago, we adopted Blue whose owner assured us was a female. After quarantine, put "her" in with Fiona who lays eggs constantly. Well, I just got home and saw a broken egg. I told Fiona and Blue how sorry I was that their egg broke. Then saw a baby oops pigeon! Guess will have to swap out the eggs for fake eggs religiously. Blue's owner lied to us. Not sure how to find homes for baby and probably a second baby. Will have to read up on care. Fiona made a nest on newspaper. Do I need to provide a nest or nesting materials to prevent splay leg? Have given our "girls" Timothy and Bermuda hay pieces but they usually discard them. Now what? I am not amused. I would not have adopted Blue had I known he was a male. The cages are only big enough for two pigeons each. Plus my significant other will be furious.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
OMG! I can't believe this! Why would anyone lie about such a thing?
Maybe the other woman was really dumb and didn't know which of her own birds were which. Maybe she thought the male was gone, but it was the female. Is it possible that she thought that Blue was a female. I just can't believe that someone would lie about that.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Yes. Straw is good if you can pile it up in a nest bowl or something, so that when the parents sit on the babies, their weight doesn't push down on the babies too much which then pushes their legs out to the side. The straw also gives the babies something to hold onto, which helps to keep their legs under them. My birds also love the 9 and 11 inch pine needles.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do you get straw...feed store? Is that different from hay? Sorry, am just a city girl who has.guinea pigs. Where do you get pine needles? We live under oaks not pines here. Also what do you use for a nest bowl? Do I need to get a special type of bowl? Will have to run ads I guess for squeakers for adoption. Will call them Oops Jr and Oh No! I guess. They should be interesting as mom and dad are pretty birds I think. Right now though they are really ugly. Should have gotten a DNA test for Blue. Fiona is overjoyed though...first of her dozens of eggs that are hatching. Can you get a male pigeon something like a vasectomy? :) just kidding.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I do get it mostly at feed stores or where ever they are selling it. Yes it is different from hay. It's stiffer than hay which is softer. So it's better for building nests that give the babies something to grab onto. You can use the Timothy hay if you pile it high enough so the weight of the parents doesn't push down too much on the babies. I would call that stupid woman who told you that Blue was a female. Use a dog dish that is big enough to 2 babies to grow up in. Or use a cardboard box that you cut down to the right size. Or 2 bricks in the corner of the cage, to enclose a small area for a nest, and to hold the nesting material in.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Leave that nest area alone and just put in the cage some nesting material maybe index cards cut up in small thin stripes or newspaper cut up in stripes and let them the male and female pigeon handle the transport to the area and the making of the nest..The most important thing at this time is "leave the nesting area alone" and do not move it or clean it==leave it alone. Pet smart has straw or hay and just place this in the cage and let the parents worry about making a nest for the babies---right now they are waiting for the second egg to hatch-----------leave everything alone....Later we will worry about baby feet---your mind is just too fertile with toooooo many thoughts at this time-...Put fresh food and water down and clean around the nesting area but leave it build up with stuff that they like even their pooping at this time---leave them alone for they know what to do....Why have you not finished the "fly pen" and let these pigeons fly free and out of the cages---this is cruel to me. Hire a carpenter or something for that fly pen will make life a lot easier for you as well as you really having a true learning experience with your pigeons..Shame on you----finish that fly pen for you did all the really hard work already. You should switch out any egg the first day or so whether you think it is fertile or not---well welcome to the world of pigeon babies---but leave them alone and maybe throw a towel or something over their area to give them a more private spot. If you interfere you might wind up with dead babies or abandonment so most important----leave the nesting area and parents alone for they know what to do.. Congrats....c.hert

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Will try to get straw tomorrow. Will the baby/babies be ok until I can get a bowl or should I go out there with a flashlight and put some kind of bowl? I feel like a nervous grandmother or godmother...will leave them alone.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
If I made a nest in the same spot and placed the baby in it, that wouldn't bother my birds. It is better if they can build it themselves, but now the baby is here, and they didn't, so I would do it. Didn't you give them a nest to lay their eggs in? They should have had a nest to lay eggs and sit on them in, even if they were both females. Not just laying eggs on the floor. Sorry, but even if they do build a nest with the materials you provide, the baby will still be sitting on the floor, and they will just put the straw around him.There will still be no nesting material under the babies. Which is really important. I have never had trouble doing this. Just try to keep them roughly in the same place. You can take care of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That baby is in a cage on top of newspapers and the parents will stick other nesting to it in time by way of pooping in the area and getting stripes of material that is available and right now they are waiting for that second egg to hatch and I would not interfere at all with this process for that would cause "serious problems" for the baby or babies at this time. The parents can handle this themselves and as that female is sitting on her eggs the male will offer her "one thin nesting material at a time and she will place it under herself" let them take care of this and do not move anything at this time..That's my advice---they know what to do just give them the materials and fresh food and water and a private spot maybe throwing a towel over the area.. Are they on a floor or in a cage with newspaper down....??? In a few days after everything is settled down you can worry about a nesting bowl of some kind but by that time they would have made a nice kind of nesting place and the first few feedings for babies are the very very most important ones for its sets up their immunity for life as well as getting them ready and able to digest protein. I would leave them be unless of course they are in danger. In a few days you could put some sort of guarding situation on the bottom half of the cage in the area like maybe sort of bumper guards in babies cribs so they will not get caught in the wires--if they are in danger of that. I use freezer paper and cut it to size and stick it by tape so the wires are not there--like bumper guards but for now-------leave things be and wait for the second egg to hatch...How wonderful and how precious they are..Yes....congrats...Worry about other things later..You will just love them---you'll see--build your fly pen---Yes...Precious Babies---how nice....

Hey Runt that cwebster has a few new babies and she calls them the Oop.s wonder what that means. Hey stupid we were Oop.s too. ha ha ha..peep peep peep....

·
Registered
297 Posts
How terrible that Blue's owner would lie to you like that! If she didn't know the gender with absolute certainty, she should have said she was not sure. Terrible. I have to say, for the time being I would leave the babies alone, at least until the second baby hatches. Straw is easy to tell apart from hay of any kind. If you go to a feed store you could probably get it for free, considering the trivial amount you would need, especially since it is sold as a bale there, and quite a lot comes apart loading and unloading, more then enough for what you would need it for. It is often sold as bedding for horses because it is softer, though not very absorbent compared to shavings. The best way to tell it apart is the color and texture. Straw is a blond yellow, and smooth, while hay, be it grass or alfalfa is green and textured. You will have to let us know how this journey progresses. I am sure your happy couple made some cute babies.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Good morning cwebster. Hope you are feeling calmer today. So that you are not changing things alot, maybe you can just cover that side with a towel to close them off a bit from the other birds, by pinning a towel halfway up on that side of the cage. Or just slipping a large piece of cardboard between the lower half of the two cages. This will give them a little privacy from the other 2 birds. It should make them feel calmer.
If you can find a soft piece of lambswool, like the fabric they cover dogs beds with sometime, or that soft light colored pad that they put in dog crates to make them softer for the dog to lie down. You could cut a piece large enough to put under the babies. That would give them a bit of padding without changing the look of things that much. After maybe a weeks time you can add the straw. By then they will be more comfortable with being parents and all. So that way you aren't changing things much, so not to upset the parents. Stay calm and don't worry. Take this a step at a time. Don't worry about anything beyond now. Wait till you see how cute they are.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
OMG!!!! Sorry to hear about the deceit, but congratulations to mom and dad!!!! Enjoy the precious little one/s.

·
Banned
569 Posts
About a month and a half ago, we adopted Blue whose owner assured us was a female. After quarantine, put "her" in with Fiona who lays eggs constantly. Well, I just got home and saw a broken egg. I told Fiona and Blue how sorry I was that their egg broke. Then saw a baby oops pigeon! Guess will have to swap out the eggs for fake eggs religiously. Blue's owner lied to us. Not sure how to find homes for baby and probably a second baby. Will have to read up on care. Fiona made a nest on newspaper. Do I need to provide a nest or nesting materials to prevent splay leg? Have given our "girls" Timothy and Bermuda hay pieces but they usually discard them. Now what? I am not amused. I would not have adopted Blue had I known he was a male. The cages are only big enough for two pigeons each. Plus my significant other will be furious.
Allot of people rehoming pigeons are not meaning to "trick" anyone but , because they think they are so sure of the sex and mean well.

If they told you the new pigeon laid eggs then that is lying, unless they were in a confusing loft with other pigeons and missed judged who was who. I don't know what the situation was but I would of adopted a proven hen, meaning she has laid eggs before. If that is what they claimed and knowing the opposite to be true , then yes, shame on them.

It is not a disaster though, because of fake eggs. But you will be in a position of rehoming birds you do not know the sex of.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So your saying that you had no idea there was a male in the cage till you saw a egg hatch or am I reading this wrong? You did not know it was a male and your furious that the previous owner did not also?

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
The woman who owned the bird said that it was a female whose mate had died.
She had hatched a son, and the woman didn't want to take the chance of them pairing up, so wanted to rehome the hen. Either she lied, or didn't even know which of the pair of her own birds was male and which was female.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I know it's not what you had planned but I would be overjoyed with a surprise like that, lol. Once had similar with a lone 'male' Guinea pig that surprised me with four perfect babies overnight, was like Christmas came early for me and the kids, ha ha. I wouldn't think you were purposely lied to but that she thought this genuinely was a female bird, so many different opinions on how to tell the sex and I bet all are wrong. If you want to know the sex of the babies you can send the shells to Animal Genetics (Google) and they DNA sex for £15 each - don't know what that equates to where you are.
Don't panic, mother nature is wonderful and so are pigeons - let them do it all for you and just keep an eye. Congratulations and enjoy your little family. :)

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I know it's not what you had planned but I would be overjoyed with a surprise like that, lol. Once had similar with a lone 'male' Guinea pig that surprised me with four perfect babies overnight, was like Christmas came early for me and the kids, ha ha. I wouldn't think you were purposely lied to but that she thought this genuinely was a female bird, so many different opinions on how to tell the sex and I bet all are wrong. If you want to know the sex of the babies you can send the shells to Animal Genetics (Google) and they DNA sex for £15 each - don't know what that equates to where you are.
Don't panic, mother nature is wonderful and so are pigeons - let them do it all for you and just keep an eye. Congratulations and enjoy your little family. :)

The woman only has a few birds. She said this one laid eggs and hatched a male. Now how could she have mixed that up? Not like she tried to figure out the gender. She said she had eggs and raised the baby.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts