Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Yesterday evening I found a young pigeon sitting on the floor in the street. As I approached he went under me as looking for protection, so I just picked him up (he did not even try to fly away).

I am doing my best to help him but he is very weak.

Thank you if you can advise me on two issues:

issue 1: help him getting healthy (see below)
issue 2: how to behave with him, for his own good?
I could not help striking him and talking to him because I thought he would not survive the first night but maybe I should avoid touching him or stay close to him too often if he is going to be released when he is ok? I don't think I can keep him, because my flat is very small and a healthy pigeon needs to fly, and there will be soon a huge facelift soon and the fillets will not make it possible to have a bird fly in and out of the window. What do you think?

Issue 1:

I put him in a box on a warm bottle, with water and seeds.

how he looks like:
  • juvenile, his morels not white yet but his eyes are already orange (see picture).
  • one eye looks different than the other one, but not swollen nor watery
  • spiky and puffed feathers
  • his wishbone is easely felt by palpation
his behavior:
  • he only picked up very tiny bits of peanuts smashed in water the first day, but 2nd day he moved by himself to eat approx. 1 spoonful of millet /canary seed. he did not want other food (defrosted peas, peanuts, other grains...)
  • he did not want to drink, although I am trying to make him drink
  • white creamy dropping with a few dark green, more molded on second day (see picture)
  • no visible injury, but very weak. he managed to fly ankwardly out of the box today: too weak or something wrong, I don't know.
  • sleeping almost of the time on the warmbottle, sometimes stretching. Day 2 he started to clean his feathers and go by himself on the warmpot
I hope he is not sick. wait and see...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
update day 3:
He ate millet with appetite this morning and drank a very little bit by himself. Than he jumped back on his warmbottle and relaxes... his feathers and eye look better.
I still don't know how to handle from the relationship point of view, but at this state, each day after another!
he seems to trust in me totally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
day 5: recovered! he was probably starving. He became crazy in his box yesterday so I let him out in the room. He is trying to get out of the window, even though there is a curtain and I showed him there is glass. What worries me for a release is that he is so trustfull with humans that he would be in danger outside. I can take him and touch him, he does not go away,
I don't know if this post will be published but just in case, I will update...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the numerous posts, but it was published with some delay so I tried to publish in other sections.
Pipito (or Pipita?) is healthy now. I am just searching for someone who can take care of the bird, as I cannot keep him in my very small flat nor just release him in the street...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts