Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have been going through all the archives here on the site and I have seen many posters complain about weather on releases, etc etc. I am curious as to the conditions which folks consider to be to rough for the birds to go up in, the reason I ask is two fold, first I am curious to see the difference in opinion according to location, and also to see what people would say about the conditions that I race in, which I consider fine, but from previous posts I am thinking many wouldn't even ship a bird. Also please list reasons for these opinions, thanks all!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I ship my birds no matter what because I'm flying for average speed not just to win a race. Plus the combine liberator does his job pretty good here and most of the time if he thinks the weather is ok to ship a race then it's normally a good race. Now last week he made a lil mess up up he pushed the race back from sunday to monday. And sunday wound up being nice and monday we had a bad race only about 5% of the birds made it home on the day from the 300 mile becasue they had a headwind between 15 and 20 mph and the rain they hit on the way home didn't help anything either. I was lucky enough to get 2 of my 7 birds home on the day 4 the next morning and I'm still missing one as of now. One of my 2 day birds was my winner from that fast race a few weeks ago. Idk if I should stick her back this week since the race was on monday and this weeks race is on friday but it's suposed to be a blow hom 250 almost like the one she won maybe just a bit slower.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ship my birds no matter what because I'm flying for average speed not just to win a race. Plus the combine liberator does his job pretty good here and most of the time if he thinks the weather is ok to ship a race then it's normally a good race. Now last week he made a lil mess up up he pushed the race back from sunday to monday. And sunday wound up being nice and monday we had a bad race only about 5% of the birds made it home on the day from the 300 mile becasue they had a headwind between 15 and 20 mph and the rain they hit on the way home didn't help anything either. I was lucky enough to get 2 of my 7 birds home on the day 4 the next morning and I'm still missing one as of now. One of my 2 day birds was my winner from that fast race a few weeks ago. Idk if I should stick her back this week since the race was on monday and this weeks race is on friday but it's suposed to be a blow hom 250 almost like the one she won maybe just a bit slower.
Ok, so in your opinion a headwind of 15 mph can lead to a bad race, is this correct? Just wanting to make sure I got it right, or is it the combo of the rain AND the 15 mph headwind that made it rough?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
With just the wind it shoulda been a 7 and a half hour race 8 hours tops and that aint too bad I myself don't like the slow races like that but it's all part of the sport of pigeon racing. But with the rain thrown in it made it almost a 9 hour race for the handful of birds that made it home early. I'm not saying it was a bad race because of the wind it was a bad race because only a small percentage of birds made it home on the day from a 300 mile race which is really nothing to an old bird plus the days are so long this time of the year.
It was a bad race because of the returns ppl got I'm one of the lucky ones in that race I'm only missing one out of 7 there's guy who are missing 15 out of the 30 they put in.

G

·
I personally think wind isnt a big problem for the birds ,it does slow them down but it wont stop them from homing now anything like heavy fog, rain even thunder and lightning will throw them off greatly so if you can avoid anything like that you should be ok ;)

p.s. even my whimpy whites can handle the heavy winds :p

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was curious because I have seen so many posts on here about headwinds and people keeping birds home because of a forecast of headwind, not even rain, just wind. Then I was looking at where my birds fly, my loft is located in the 2nd windiest city in the country, our 200 mile release station is the 3rd windiest city in the country, and I was thinking that man, half these people would never ship a bird lol. Let alone that they fly over deserts most of the way to get home, just trying to figure out why so many folks scream and holler about the winds. Thanks for the few replies I got, keep them coming!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
One reason some ppl might be hesitent to ship birds in different condition is because it is far from normal where they fly. Like where you are from that is normal to get those kinds of winds and ppl breed and fly birds that are made for those kind of races. But alot of other areas in the country most races are pretty easy on the birds and ppl have birds made for those easy races because that's what they get most of the time. They don't have birds made for those one or two really hard races you get every few years. So when that race comes some ppl choose just to sit out becasue they know their birds aren't made for it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
What race course do you guys fly down there in Dallas? What's a few of your stations? Her on Long Island we fly a SW course because that is the fairest course for everybody. If you drew a line down the center of Long Island and continued it out to Pennsylvania most of our stations would be very close to that line. It was done that way so eveybodys birds can get to the island by crossing the narrowest body of water to get here.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What race course do you guys fly down there in Dallas? What's a few of your stations? Her on Long Island we fly a SW course because that is the fairest course for everybody. If you drew a line down the center of Long Island and continued it out to Pennsylvania most of our stations would be very close to that line. It was done that way so eveybodys birds can get to the island by crossing the narrowest body of water to get here.
I don't fly in Dallas, my loft is still back home in SW Kansas. My loft is located in Dodge City, KS. Stratford, TX is 100 mile station, Amarillo TX is 200, Lubbock Tx is 300, Andrews TX is 400, Ft. Stockton TX is 500, Presidio TX is 600. This is mostly a SSW course, get some real fast races and we get some real hard races too. If you look at a map of Kansas, our combine has lofts in Johnson, KS, Garden City, KS, Cimarron, KS, Dodge City, KS, Holcomb, KS, Scott City, KS, and a few out in the middle of nowhere too.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I mapped out your location and the location of the other locations with lofts along with the stations. I wanted to see where you were compaired to the stations and other lofts.

Here's my loft and stations all the rest of the 180 or so lofts are basically on Long Island. And as you can see I'm pretty much right in the middle.

I zoomed out to show both of our courses on hte same picture.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pigeon0446 I like the map, it gives a really good idea as to the courses that we both fly. We used to fly a few other courses more SE, the 600 being down by San Antonio TX, when we flew with the clubs out of Wichita KS, this course currently makes more sense for those of us flying. Thanks for putting it on a map, I don't know how to do that.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks sky tx for your loft location I made a new map and I put you on it. If anybody else on pigeon talk want to be added to the map just put your location it doesn't have to be your exact loft location like mine and sky tx. If you just post your town it should be good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts