Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the big day is June 6th, my daughters wedding. My two white pigies have been flying great and yesterday I did a trial run in the cage being used for the release and took them to the church building where they will be released. It's only about a 1/3 mile from my home, but it is the furthest distance away that I have released them so far. They were a little nervous at first in the cage, but calmed down finally. I then had my daughter open the cage and out they came and up for a circle, then off they went.......but in the wrong direction. They flew for several minutes making circles but kept going the wrong direction when they would fly away from the church building, then back to circle again. Finally, they went in the right direction and all the sudden made a bee-line for my house and their loft. Guess it was just a little further than usual and they took a few minutes to get their bearings. Guess I'll do a few more releases before June 6 comes. It was pretty neat to do this for the first time. I was nervous about it, but it all worked out like it was supposed to. People driving by were sure looking hard at what we were doing. :D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
thats great it went well, you might not want to over train them there, as when the big day comes they may just fly out of the cage and be gone before anyone can even see them, it's ok for them to fly and circle a bit so folks can say their oohs and ahhhs. I have a graduation release on the 6th, it is only about 4 miles away, they have been their one time and that is what I want because I want them to circle as much as possible...:)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Sounds like they knew the direction they started in wasn't right and returned to their circling to take stock in their whereabouts ... tried it again .... nope, still not right ... tried again .... THAT'S THE TICKET. HOME!!!! Smart birds / good trainer!!!

Congratulations! That will be a spectacular addition to an already awesome day and something few fathers can give !!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith C, the birds are great, I couldn't be happier. They are all so nice and pretty and healthy. The homers are really doing great, the rollers are flying great too. One of them is rolling every once in a while. I've named them all, but not sure of gender yet. I need to get my wifes camera and take a picture of them. The whites are Pete and Repeat, the rollers are , big red, splash, blaze and little bit. I think big red is a male, little bit a female, blaze and splash???? Pete and Repeat??? I enjoy them alot and need to begin planning on adding about six more birds to my loft but I'd like to add some area to it for nest boxes and maybe a bigger aviary or fly pen or something. It has been fun for sure.

ggoss1, I don't know where you are in your training, but I know this, if you train them with patience and consistency, it'll pay off and save you time. Just use the brainpower available on this forum if you have any doubts. Everyone has been very good to help me. Soon, I may be able to give advice.......wait, I just did:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great news please post some pics after the big event it is very special when you do a release for family it makes what you do a lot more special. I have a release this Saturday for the Cancer Council of Australia walkathon to raise money for cancer research we do this for free and the dove release are the starters gun so to speak for the event. The dove symbolise the people that have been lost to cancer. It also is a great PR for our little business

·
Registered
265 Posts
Best of luck with the big day, Tenman - I guess you'll be 'releasing' your daughter 'baby' and your pigeon 'babies' on the same occasion - :) Hope to see some pix! And Queen, do post some pix of your Cancer Council Release - how many are you releasing? Good photo opportunity, I bet!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Congrats! That is normal for them to circle. I suppose they are trying to get their bearings. The more you train on the same spot sooner or later they won't circle anymore and just head home to the right direction.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep, babies leaving the nest and babies flying, what a day it will be. Thanks to all for helping me get this done. I hope to have some pictures next week for you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Talk to the DJ/musician and have him/her play something uplifting. It will make for a more dramatic effect. (I have white homers and I officiate over 100 weddings/year.)

I have used "Out of Africa" theme - not the beginning of the song, just the part that is uplifting...you will know when you hear it.

But, the soundtrack of that new Disney/Pixar movie "Up" is sounding promising. A good DJ can recommend something good for the release if you're doing the release sometime in the ceremony. If it's outside a church, it would be more difficult to add the music. Just my two cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts