Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, my name is Bekki and I am new to this website. I have been researching the possibility of getting into the business of dove release. I live in an area where there is not a lot of others in this business though, so I am hoping to get advice from the members here. Anyone who has tips for me as far as birds, training, housing, feeding, is greatly appreciated. All advice is welcome. I have not yet purchased anything for this venture. I am a very cautious person, and want all the information possible before I start this venture. I do know that it is white homing pigeons used, and not the dove. :) Thank you for any advice you leave.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Welcome Bekki.
I think your best bet would be to go to our Homing and Racing pigeon forum and start there. There's tons of info on housing, feeding and training and almost all of it would apply to what you are interested in doing with the white birds.
As far as a loft, that depends totally on the room and money you have and how many birds you want to keep.
We've got a few members with release businesses, so I'm sure they'll chime in.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I might add that we DO want you to ask questions if/when you have them. There's just so much to learn and understand, that it would be tough to give you a run down here. It's easier to read and ask about what you don't understand or don't find the answer too.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes as Renee said read all you can about their care...one advice tip I would give is don't get pigeons if you want a business...get them because you really like them and like taking care of them...if you want to use them for release that is secondary to the everyday care, vet bills, cleaning, loft equipment..ect.. If you go on vaccation who will take care of them. just some things to think about...I'am an "animal person" so all the care is fun for me, and if I never used them for release that would be ok because I really like them...I have bantam chickens too, but I really love my pidjies and I know I will allways have some reguardless. they can at times take alot of time and energy to give them the best care. If you do find you would like to keep pigeons then I would buy as many ybs you can afford, because the same amount of time goes into traing 6 as it does 40..you will have losses also.
read all about homing pigeons and then decide from there to see if it something you can keep up with ,and want to care for them everyday of the week...:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what you're saying about liking pigeons. The whole reason I got interested in this business is because I saw a dove in the pet store and thought it was beautiful. I came home to do some research on keeping a dove, and came across dove release. I am a major animal lover, so having a dove release business would be more fun than work to me. Thank you for your advice. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hello Bekki,
That is exactly how I started.
I nearly ran over a flock of fantail pigeons 9 months ago and was offered them by their owner. I breed silky bantams and have a magpie rehab unit. I also love birds immensely.
I googled Dove to get diet and housing info and only found adverts for dove releases.
So I researched my area and found no one dove releasing on the web in my town.
I went doorknocking to florists/wedding wear and funeral houses to find out wether anyone was releasing as well that wasnt advertising on the web.
I got really positive feedback so I began a business plan and have tried to stick to it.
It has cost me about 2 thousand dollars to get started by the time I purchased my homing pigeons, cages, baskets, silk flowers, adverts, business cards, expos, etc but it has just taken off and now the business is supporting itself and giving me lots of joy.
I love the expressions on the peoples faces as they watch the birds take flight, i love talking to the excited couples as they plan their wedding.
Its such a pretty industry but then again I get soooo dirty scraping the loft daily.
I have to plan my days though. I have a dear 9 year old son to help with his homework etc and to have time to play monopoly etc too.
Im sure if you take time to get good foundation breeding stock and build up your flock you will be able to do this as well.
I joined the white dove society which was a great investment with hints etc.
Pls feel free to em or pm me if youd like some tips.
Good luck, its a lovely job!
Helen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Helen,
Thank you for the info. I am sure as I get started I will have questions that I can't think of right now. I visited your website. It is gorgeous. :) I have a friend getting married on Valentines Day, so my goal is to be able to have a trained flock by then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts