Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have an age/weight chart for baby pigeons? I can't find one, maybe it doesn't exist.

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Can't find one, too. But I thought I found one long ago reading about commercial pigeon squab, but I don't remember where I got that. They basically have this expectation about certain weights per given days.

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I just weighed my week old baby and he's pushing 30g with a full crop... according to the chart he should be 150g at least.... very worrying!

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
Becca,

Is this youngster being handreared or beeing raised by parents, and is there another nestling to compare this baby to?

What are the babies poops looking like and how many does he do per day? Is the crop emptying well?

· Registered
845 Posts
The tremendous amount of size difference in the different pigeons breeds as adults means that only a breed specific chart should have any relevance.
Look at a Figurita and then look at a Giant Runt as an example.
Keith

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
The tremendous amount of size difference in the different pigeons breeds as adults means that only a breed specific chart should have any relevance.
Look at a Figurita and then look at a Giant Runt as an example.
Keith
Absolutely...you have to take that into consideration when you look at this chart, as this chart is from feral nestlings. It is possible that our homers weigh a bit more, depending on whether these nestlings were well fed or not. But this chart can be used for standard sizes.

· Registered
845 Posts
Ferals are iinfluenced by the different breeds that make them up and vary in size tremendously too.
There used to be one flock locally that had a large amount of Modena blood. They were huge and many had the colors, like blue gazzi, bronxe schietti and argent seen in Modenas.
The flock consisted of about 300 pigeons that hung out at a Shell and a BP Gas Station, that were across the street from each other.
Keith

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He was being parent reared, he fell from the nest, or was thrown by his parents at two days old. I have taken him from them this morning, they kept leaving him for long periods of time. He didn't have a nest mate. Poops are fine, I couldn't say how many in a day but two in the last hour. He seems to take food fine and I did see the parents feeding him. He is a Chinese owl pigeon.

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
He was being parent reared, he fell from the nest, or was thrown by his parents at two days old. I have taken him from them this morning, they kept leaving him for long periods of time. He didn't have a nest mate. Poops are fine, I couldn't say how many in a day but two in the last hour. He seems to take food fine and I did see the parents feeding him. He is a Chinese owl pigeon.
I don't think he would be the same size as that on the chart, but keep a close eye out and I would get him to an avian vet-if that is an option, because if he was thrown from the nest the parents might know the baby is ill.

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Thank you very much for the chart, ggoss1. I've been searching for such data. Where and how did you get it? It seems that the graph shows logarithmic pattern where it stabilizes around the 28 days. It is amazing also to see that around 12 and 16 days we see lots of variation in weights. I suppose this is what people are talking about when they say that the first 2 weeks are critical.

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
Thank you very much for the chart, ggoss1. I've been searching for such data. Where and how did you get it? It seems that the graph shows logarithmic pattern where it stabilizes around the 28 days. It is amazing also to see that around 12 and 16 days we see lots of variation in weights.* I suppose this is what people are talking about when they say that the first 2 weeks are critical.
* Absolutely, they take so much energy and burn so much food for laying down new cells for growth and feathering, that if they get sick or don't get enough to eat during that time, their growth becomes stunted and the feathering can be in such poor condition.

Thank you too, ggoss1, I think that chart is great help.

· Guardian Angel
4,194 Posts
Hi ALL, Just would remind you all that this study was done on feral pigeons, so keep in mind that with all the breeds of pigeons we will have different size young. So a show KING will be much larger at that age while an Italian Owl would be much smaller. GEORGE;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.