Pigeon-Talk banner

Welded Wire?

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Jay3 
#1 ·
My ideal hole size would be 1x2 in a 16 or 18 guage, but we don't have anything like that in our area.

Any members use 14 guage, black, pvc coated, welded wire to wrap an aviary? The hole size is 2"x3". The hole is larger than what I would like. But it seems as though, it would still do the job. Holes aren't large enough for bop to enter or for my birds to get out. I can see small birds such as sparrows getting in. But I don't mind them. Do you think the 14 guage will be hard to work with?

#3 ·
If I am reading this right, the wood won't keep mice or rats out.

Small birds may look cute but they carry disease and lice and fleas. So you don't want them with your pigeons.

#4 ·
hole size isnt just to keep bop out, but any rodents.
Mice & rats can climb, especially on wood where they can gnaw into it also.
With holes that size, even larger animals can get paws in throug spaces & do damage to your birds, and a snake would have no problem.

#5 ·
Yes, that's too big a spacing. Also, in the event a Pigeon might try to flee, or spook or such, they could conceivably harm themselves in a 2x3 barrier (get wing or part of body caught).

Can you just order the proper size online ???

#6 ·
Why do you feel that rodents wouldn't get in? Just wondering. Also, sparrows getting in can also bring sickness to your birds.

Just realized that rpalmer already mentioned that. Sorry.:)

#8 ·
Ace had the best price on hardware cloth when I was shopping for it- and will ship it to your local store for free if you order it online- or probably even if you just go in and ask them. They have a huge selection.

Some may think it's overkill, but I went with 1/4" 19 gauge. If a raccoon can get his paw through the wire, he will grab a bird, and pull him back through forcibly. Horrible way to die.

I was at another local loft that had 1"x2" HW cloth, and he said he had no problems- but he has it on an aviary that is 5 ft up. Still, I'm a better safe than sorry person- rather spend the extra dough than lose birds to predators.

#12 ·
i went with 19 gauge 1/4 " hardware cloth on my entire flight thas 6ft high x 8ft deep x 9 1/2ft wide even on the ground around in side the flight and my shed / loft, so far had one hawk try the top as a perch as soon as i got my first few birds.

#13 ·
I used 19 gauge 1/2". I wanted the 1/4", but they only had the 23 gauge. They could have ordered it, but the guy was here to put up the aviary, and I couldn't wait. That'll be great for sure.

#14 ·
Great suggestions all

After reading all the post, I'm thinking 1/2". I never thought about the smaller stores like Ace. I was looking at the big boys only. I'll stop there tommorow to purchase or order.

As far as mice, I've only seen voles and moles. Not sure about the climbing abilities of either of these? Mice and rats on the other hand, I'm aware are expert climbers. But how dumb of me to think, just because I haven't seen them, that they aren't around, or eventually will home in on the waste from feeding.

My aviary will only be available to the birds in the day time.

#18 ·
After reading all the post, I'm thinking 1/2". I never thought about the smaller stores like Ace. I was looking at the big boys only. I'll stop there tommorow to purchase or order.

As far as mice, I've only seen voles and moles. Not sure about the climbing abilities of either of these? Mice and rats on the other hand, I'm aware are expert climbers. But how dumb of me to think, just because I haven't seen them, that they aren't around, or eventually will home in on the waste from feeding.

My aviary will only be available to the birds in the day time.
My pigeon loft was made from a structure that I had previously built as a playhouse for my kids. It was in the yard for three years as a playhouse, and we never saw one mouse. Four months after turning it into a loft, the mice showed up. I didn't think they would find it, as it is twenty-five feet from the nearest cover in the middle of the lawn. Boy was I wrong! See my experiences at this link: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f38/loft-lift-project-53285.html

#15 ·
Paint wire?

I really like the black wire because I can really see the birds. Anyone know of any brands out there that sell a black in 1/2"? I've done an online search and only found one, and its on the expensive side.

I've seen some folks paint it. How did you guys do it? Type of paint? What I'm picturing in my head is to cutt wire mesh to size, paint the edges (where it will be attached to aviary), place onto aviary and paint the rest. Just looking for an easy, non mess way to do it, that others on hear may have found useful.

#17 ·
I really like the black wire because I can really see the birds. Anyone know of any brands out there that sell a black in 1/2"? I've done an online search and only found one, and its on the expensive side.

I've seen some folks paint it. How did you guys do it? Type of paint? What I'm picturing in my head is to cutt wire mesh to size, paint the edges (where it will be attached to aviary), place onto aviary and paint the rest. Just looking for an easy, non mess way to do it, that others on hear may have found useful.
Easiest way is to spray paint.

#20 ·
Home Depot actually does sell 1/2 inch hardware cloth in green. It is regular 19 gauge welded wire cloth that is coated in green vinyl. I bought some last week to re-side a training basket, because I feel that it will look a whole lot better than galvanized wire. The problem is that they only sell it in 2' by 5' rolls, for $11.97/roll. That can get pretty expensive for an aviary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.