Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diligently fixing dinner late this afternoon and expecting my husband and his son to arrive at any minute and wanted to have dinner ready for them when the phone rang and it was Orange County Animal Care Services Dispatch on the line.

A male Mallard with a badly broken wing had been spotted in the flood control channel that runs through a park about 2 blocks from my home. Animal Control wanted to know if I could go help the officer on site, so I did. She (the ACO) and another female ACO were already down in the channel .. one with a net and one with a small tree branch trying to "herd" the duck to a spot where the duck could be netted. Not wanting to miss all the fun, I grabbed my net and waded right in! :) The wily duck gave us a good run for our money, but we got him in the end, and he is now residing in my backyard duck pen until he can go to the wildlife center tomorrow.

It was good karma all the way around .. hubby and son were late getting home for dinner, duck got caught without incident, and dinner was ready in plenty of time in spite of my little duck adventure!

Terry

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sounds like my kind of adventure, glad everything went well and the dinner was right one time. What was on the menu...if I might ask? :D

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I all most expected to hear that there was duck for dinner but knowing TERRY I knew that would NEVER HAPPEN glad you got that duck. I hope that his wing heals up just fine and he can go back out in the wild.
Sounds like my kind of adventure, glad everything went well and the dinner was right one time. What was on the menu...if I might ask? :D

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The duck should be fine. He has eaten and eaten and eaten like a pig here .. very thin and hungry. I just so much appreciate our animal control when they will go out of their way to do something like this. I never mind being called by them to help if I can, and I never mind overnighting a bird .. the bird is better off here than in a truck for the entire shift and then going to the shelter/pound for the night. I truly do appreciate the ACO's who are willing to go the extra bit to make something happen and then also see that the creature has the best of it as opposed to being in a truck for 5-6 hours and then ending up in a very bird unfriendly place .. they aren't mean .. they just aren't set up for birds .. they do dogs and cats.

Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts