Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Since I have so much to remember, I keep track of hatching, banding, and weaning dates on my computer's calendar. I normally put my reminder at 5 days. If the babies look too small, I just wait a couple more days. Soon you'll get the feel as to when a baby is too big or too small. Just don't forget to check it! Those little guys are pros at wiggling out of bands. And some parents LOVE to carry the bands wayyyy out of the nest, so that you have to stare at the ground and dig around to find it.

I remember last year when I used some NPA bands. They were light gray and smaller than typical racer bands. Boy they sure did blend in once they fell off :eek: And now that the birds are grown, those bands blend in with the blue birds :p

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If there are two babies, then around 6 days. If there is only one baby, then 5 days. But the best way to ring the babies are to check by putting the rings on and try to pull them off. If the rings still come off, then the babies aren't big enough. If the rings don't come off, then they're the right age.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I go with five days, and check on day six, seven, and eight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.