Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get new birds and cage them in the coop for 4 weeks feding and watering them and taming them. After about 4 weeks we are looking at free flying them and they generally clear off onto the house roof and roost somewhere lese rather than in the coop.

Two questions, how do I get them to go back into the coop?
Why did they not return to the coop to roost?

I also had a pair of racers who laid eggs and the male abandoned first and then the female a day later as soon as the confining cages came off after a month.

What is the problem please?

I am getting hugely frustrated.

·
Registered
810 Posts
First problem it sounds to me like is your trying to settle birds from other lofts in order to fly out of yours, the way you are doing it won't work, and really trying to do this is never a good idea. Best options is to keep them locked up, allow them to raise some young, and then fly the young or else you will continue to lose the birds.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
"I also had a pair of racers who laid eggs and the male abandoned first and then the female a day later as soon as the confining cages came off after a month."

Please explain this sentence. What age were these racers when you obtained them? What do you mean by "confining cages"?

It does sound as if you obtained adult birds, confined them and they mated. Then you tried to release them.

That just won't work, if that is the case.

Homing pigeons (racers) go back home 99.9% of the time, to where they were born and raised. There are exceptions but it is a difficult process and most likely won't work forever anyway.

But maybe I am not understanding what you wrote.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I got the racers from an auction and they were last years birds 09 rings but I do not know how old they were apart from that.
I suspect that since I am using a traditional dovecote it is not high enough and they maybe do not feel safe in it.
A redesign of the housing and not buying racers but buying garden pigeons might be the answer.
I now think I know what I am doing wrong.
I am not racing I just naively thought that you could fix racing pigeons to a dovecote rather than a loft in the way you can with garden pigeons (I think you call the white doves in the states)

·
Registered
795 Posts
In your situation, free range pigeons, I would confine mom+dad untill they produced as many young as you wanted them to. The young are born in house, then they(young) will Always return (good luck trying to kick them out).
Racing Homers go home, do or die.
Overcrouding will make Pigeons want to Roost close by (on neighbors roof!).
Roosting means start a nest, and breed, Not just rest for a few days.
Show Pigeons really Don't have any homing instinct, after they fly from view of the loft.
Regular homing Pigeons (barn type, or Wild) will take advantage of their new surroundings, and be very thankful for it, and produce.
If you are looking for some good backyard birds, or a special looking flock of Pigeons check out New York Flying Flights. Or one of the Many different breeds of flying Pigeons that are available. Flights, High Fliers, Tipplers, Any of the Preforming Breeds. Not Show Type.
Many Racing Homers are not only very fast, :cool: but they come in a varity of colors also.
Myself, I'm still trying to figure out the best Backyard birds for my circumstances. So far, It's Tipplers, or NY Flying Flights, maybe with a little racing homer mixed in. :eek:
You could also check out the National Pigeon Association (NPA). Anyone would certainly fall in love with the many different kinds of Show Pigeons, lots of the breeds fly, and home too. (just not as fast as racers)
Check out English Carriers, and Dragoons!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts