Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick/half-assed search and didn't find *quite* what I'm look for. And I know, I know... I looked at the chart, but numbers were never my strength (does the mg refer to the dosage itself or the amount per dosage? And what's the average weight?).

I found a pigeon with a bum leg... has string twined around. His foot is badly swollen and obviously infected, but not black so seems like he'll be able to keep it. Gave him a tiny drop of my dog's Metacam and once it sets in, in a couple hours, someone's gonna help me get the string off. But I got antibiotic from the vet (prior to catching the pigeon... I've been working on him a few days, once I noticed his swollen leg)... dosage says .5CC once a day, but mind the vet never saw the pigeon (again, prior to catching him).

Very average sized male pigeon... enrofloxacin... how much should I give? Is .5CCs good? I've done several pigeon rescues before, but all were impromtu and got a vet visit themselves or were taken to a rescue or were so simple it just took some time (flight feathers and whatnot), so it was all pretty cut and dry. Not so much with this one.

Hopefully I can treat it myself... otherwise, I'll take him to a rescue, but I have my qualms about them so would prefer doing it myself.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
There are different protocols like 15 milligrams of pure medicine per kilogram of bird, orally, twice daily (written: 15 mg/kg, PO, BID)

or:

5 to 20 milligrams of pure medicine per kilogram of bird, orally, once daily.

Formulations of Enrofloxacin (Baytril) are quite varied so can't tell much about it from your description so far.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Go with the 20 mg/kg, PO, SID (Once Daily; also written QD). If your bird only weighed a quarter of a kilogram (250 grams), he'd only get 5 milligrams of pure medicine at a whack. If your formulation were to be the 2.5% injectable (can also be used orally), then you'd only give 2/10ths of a milliliter (mL).

Pidgey

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If she has Enrofloxacin liquid, it's probably 10%.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: everyone

Here's what the bottle says...

Enrofloxacin Susp 32 mg/Ml-Ml/Cc /5
Mls - GIVE 0.5CC ORALLY ONCE DAILY FOR 10 DAYS

Thank you all for the responses, but again... talk of "pure medicine" and "PO, SID" etc... doesn't is what I'm trying to figure out and translate to amount in CCs (ie: trying to figure out what such things mean and turn it into a dosage that I can get on the syringe). Worse comes to worse I can call on Wednesday (vet's off tomorrow), but I'd rather not wait until tomorrow much less Wednesday (I already gave him a .5CC dose, though).

Thanks, and sorry for being so dense!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You're not bing dense. It's just that without know the strength it hard to offer an opinion. The information on the bottle doesn't tell us that. I agree it's better he have it than not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aye. I'll try running it by the ER vet tonight/early in the morning and see if they can tell (or, if not, sell me a bottle that they do know)... seems like the best bet at the moment.

And thank you to all of you!

·
Registered
670 Posts
The strength is the "32mg/ml" that's on the bottle.

So if you assume the pigeon is around 300 grams (.3 kg) and you're dosing at 20mg/kg SID (what Pidgey recommended), then you'd want to give him 6 mg once a day. 6/32 = .19 ml.

Jennifer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts