Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cock or hens?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts on the gender of these 2 birds. They are both about 5-6 months old. They both seem to 'bow-coo' but I can't surely say that they are both cocks.

Also, at what age do these birds usually ready to mate?

I'm a bad photographer with a bad camera. Excuse me for the low quality of the pictures.

God Bless and Have a happy Thanksgiving.
Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At what age do they usually start getting ready to mate?

I will put them together in a breeding cage for a few weeks or so just to experiment.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
They might be old enough but you never know some are at that age some ain't. My guess is hen/cock but very hard to tell especially the second pic a more straight sideways pic is better.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The first one looks like a hen :) But not sure whthr "she" will make the second pal to lay eggs :D

I had paired up 2 babies when they where about 4 - 5 months, the exact statistics as below:

Male is today 7 months 15 days, female is today 7 months 11 days
They sat on a full cycle on dummy eggs first.
Hatchling from the second round of egg is today 28 days old

Now I leave you to calculate when the pair laid their first round of eggs, assume 2 weeks between finishing the first cycle and laying the second set of eggs, all mathematics :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
another good way too tell is to pick em up and feel for the pelvic bone just under the tail the females have a very large space approx 2 finger width's while the male only half this

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
5-6 months+ is usually the age period where most homers will start wanting to mate up and make nests. Some take longer, others earlier. Probably due to some families maturing a bit faster than others. It's worth a try :) Just give them a nest box/bowl and some material, and see what happens :D

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
top Hen/bottom Cock maybe.

Put each one in a crate with an older cock and if the older cock "flirts" then it is a hen. If the older cock goes after it a little bit, by pecking at it, then it is probably a cock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

My dad says to check their gender Take the bird and face it towards you spread wings and if the tail goes up its a female and if down its a male.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

My dad says to check their gender Take the bird and face it towards you spread wings and if the tail goes up its a female and if down its a male.
I tried this method today, turns out that the top picture is a hen, and bottom picture is a cock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts