Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I got my first pigeons today that I plan to breed. What leg bands do I need? I've looked online and I've seen ones with numbers, dates, or other stuff. Can somone send me a direct link or give me more info on what leg bands I need?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks. But what does all this 901 IPB Plexiglass Size B,
910 AU Racing Homer 915 IF, stuff mean? How do I know which ones to get?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are Racing Homers (Is how they were listed). I MAY race them just for fun, but most likely not competition. I got them more to enjoy their homing skills. To watch them fly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then I should probably just go with the basic numbers. 1-20 or something like that just to keep track of whos who.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, that brings me to another though. I've heard that (With other birds anyway) bands on the left leg is USUALLY for female, and right side is USUALLY for males. How close of relatives is it safe for a bird to inbreed with? (Not that I plan on doing it purposely)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I personally don't think it would hurt to inbreed as long as you introduce new blood from time to time. I heard that inbreeding is good for homers and rollers that have nice flying capabilities. Also about the band being on the left or the right. There is no way you could make a judgement at such a young age the sex of the bird. But you could use color bands for females and males in the future.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Get an 8mm band with either AU or IF designation to it. That way, if in the future you want to race, you will be allowed to do so by rules. NPA bands are not allowed for racing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. But how come they are not allowed to race? I mean cant you just cut off an old band and put on a new one?

Sorry for the late reply. My power went out last night and JUST turned back on (24 hours later!)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I don't know why. They made that rules. One thing I know is that when you get those AU or IF bands, they will register your name with the bands so they know who owns the bird. I don't know about NPA bands. I've never used it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks. But how come they are not allowed to race? I mean cant you just cut off an old band and put on a new one?

Sorry for the late reply. My power went out last night and JUST turned back on (24 hours later!)
Not positive, but I believe the band requirement is to make sure that young birds race with young birds, and old birds race with old birds. You cannot cut off an old band and put on a new one. A seamless band (such as an AU or IF band) is placed on the birds leg at around six to eight days of age. As they grow older, the foot increases in size, keeping the band from coming off. Likewise, it is impossible to put a seamless band on a bird after it reaches a certain size. Many a fancier has missed banding a bird because they waited a little too long.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would band them definately. It helps with records, and people can track you if the birds ever get lost. It also shows their age if you ever try to show them. AU is for racing for sport, NPA is just for birds that are for fun.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Okay, so I got my first pigeons today that I plan to breed. What leg bands do I need? I've looked online and I've seen ones with numbers, dates, or other stuff. Can somone send me a direct link or give me more info on what leg bands I need?
you would want to put racing bands on the young you get from your new birds..they are permanent..you put them on as said at 6 to 8 days old.. they may be out of the 2010 bands not sure.. so you may want to wait and get 2011 and start your breeding in Dec, Jan, or Feb.. npa are permanent bands as well they are not racing bands, just to keep track of the year hatched and has a number.. you can enter pigeon shows with this band and of course keep track of who is who with the numbers..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh cool. That is great information you guys. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts