Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this bird yesterday. He (little doubt that this is a HE) was found up near Julian about two years ago when the rescuer managed to get him away from a hawk. He had been scalped and had big lacerations on his chest as well. Since then he has been a lone pigeon, living for the most part in a cage. His caretaker (not the person who rescued him) has been trying to find a place for him where he could be with other pigeons. My lofts are finally clean of the problems I had last spring, so I took him. I haven't a clue as to what he is. He is small, I'd guess about 250-60 gms. He is very lively, coos and twirls and is very excited about the hens across the room (he is in single cage observation right now) and bites like a barracuda, as well as wing slaps.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to his breed. He isn't banded, but he is not a feral. Cute little varmint isn't he? I had to take nine pictures to get this one as he would not stop twirling and cooing.

Margaret

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I got this bird yesterday. He (little doubt that this is a HE) was found up near Julian about two years ago when the rescuer managed to get him away from a hawk. He had been scalped and had big lacerations on his chest as well. Since then he has been a lone pigeon, living for the most part in a cage. His caretaker (not the person who rescued him) has been trying to find a place for him where he could be with other pigeons. My lofts are finally clean of the problems I had last spring, so I took him. I haven't a clue as to what he is. He is small, I'd guess about 250-60 gms. He is very lively, coos and twirls and is very excited about the hens across the room (he is in single cage observation right now) and bites like a barracuda, as well as wing slaps.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to his breed. He isn't banded, but he is not a feral. Cute little varmint isn't he? I had to take nine pictures to get this one as he would not stop twirling and cooing.

Margaret
Hi MARGARET, That is a fine looking FLYING TIPPLER They call his color light print as he is a grizzle he is a high flyer. Will you be going to the METRO club this Saturday its their young bird show.Hope to see you there....GEORGE;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
He's a cute fella :) I agree, tippler. And I really do believe that people with flying breeds like this, should definitely band their birds :( Especially those with poor homing ability.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I was going to say tippler! Woo hoo, I got one right! Aren't you proud of me, George and Becky. :p:p:p He is a beauty, Margaret, I have a few like him but not that coloring. Very sweet of you to take him in, hopefully you can get a video of him for us to see. :D

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi MARGARET, That is a fine looking FLYING TIPPLER They call his color light print as he is a grizzle he is a high flyer. Will you be going to the METRO club this Saturday its their young bird show.Hope to see you there....GEORGE;)
Thanks George. Yes, I'll be going to the Metro Club. See you Sat.

Margaret

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
WHAT a BEAUTY, Margaret!!

What will his name be?

Will be looking forward to future adventures! Mr. Squeaks says he sounds like he has some natural ability in Beak Strikes and Wing Fu! :cool:

Actually, WoeBeGone, my West of England Tumbler, who is not that big in size either, is also most expert in Wing Fu and outstanding in Rapier Beak Strikes! He gives your newest cutey TWO WINGS UP! :D

Love and Hugs
Shi/Mr. Squeaks/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WHAT a BEAUTY, Margaret!!

What will his name be?

Will be looking forward to future adventures! Mr. Squeaks says he sounds like he has some natural ability in Beak Strikes and Wing Fu! :cool:

Actually, WoeBeGone, my West of England Tumbler, who is not that big in size either, is also most expert in Wing Fu and outstanding in Rapier Beak Strikes! He gives your newest cutey TWO WINGS UP! :D

Love and Hugs
Shi/Mr. Squeaks/WoeBeGone :)

Hi Shi,

He came to me already named. He is Merlin. He is a Wing Fu expert. And has a black belt in Rapier beak strikes. I'll be glad to get him out into the loft. The rest of the birds in the room are hens and he has them all cooing and grunting to beat the band. He is also a twirler deluxe. If I put roller skates on him, he could dance a waltz. Tell Woe thanks for the thumbs up.

Margaret

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Merlin is a PERFECT name!!

With his looks, I bet he's really a hit with the hens!!

He has Woe beat 'cause Woe doesn't "dance."

Love his eyes too...Woe has eyes like that...

Can't wait until he gets with the rest of the pijies!

The gang and I send GREETINGS to this "magic" pigeon!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi/Mr. Squeaks/WoeBeGone/Dom/Gimie :)

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
He sure is. And now he has a mate, a pretty tippler hen. They are presently sitting a pair of eggs that should hatch out this week.

Margaret
YIPPEE!!

Uh, we WILL be expecting pictures, Margaret!!

Many thanks for the update!!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi and the gang :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
tippler

When you say Tippler just what breed of tippler might it be? Iranian? I am getting a little confused on the issue of tipplers, I have serbian high flyers but from what I can find they are in the tippler clasification>Kevin

·
Registered
336 Posts
When you say Tippler just what breed of tippler might it be? Iranian? I am getting a little confused on the issue of tipplers, I have serbian high flyers but from what I can find they are in the tippler clasification>Kevin
Hey Kevin, Tipplers are tipplers, Iranian highflyers are Iranian highflyers and your serbians are just that Serbians. They are all their own breed. Tipplers are endurance birds that fly all day and sometimes fly out of sight. Tipplers do not have a crest. There is different strains of tipplers. (i.e. paki, canadian, and english) Iranian highflyers are a tumbler breed that tumble upward and fly at high elevations. They come with crest and with out. Serbian highflyers are a high flying breed that fly at high elevations and with the right training will fly all day. Serbians must always have a crest. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts