Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am 15 so i can not afford much but can any one tell me what i can give my birds to keep them heatly thanks

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
If I was to recommend only one inexpensive product, it would be Apple Cidar Vinegar (ACV). I would use a Natural product such as Braggs. The below I copied from another post, which recommended once a week. I use it much more often then that, I would use at least every two days. The idea being to maintain the PH, which once a week is not enough. I have been using it for so often, that my birds gladly drink 2 tablespoons to the gallon.

1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a gallon water for good gut PH at a level that bacteria, like E Coli and Salmonella, doesn't like. I recommend the organic ACV from the health food store as it has the "mother" in it. You can also add pro-biotics to re-populate the good gut bacteria at that time. Start with the 1 tablespoon of ACV and if your birds drink it readily you can try to increase a little up to 2 tablespoons per gallon. If they are not drinking it readily then it is not going to do them any good so start with 1 teaspoon. I would also not put any pools out for bathing that day, as they will drink anything to try to avoid it.

ACV can also be used in heavier doses for medicinal purposes: See the following thread:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=15856

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Use crushed garlic, too! Prevention is better than cure! You can put 4 garlic cloves in 1 gallon of water.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just provide clean food, clean water, grit every other day, plenty of sunlight, and exercise (if possible) and your birds will stay healthy naturally.

(Garlic and apple cider vinegar won't hurt either!)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
In addition to the suggestions above, you do need to be ready in case a problem develops. It is always a good idea to have treatments available for the basic diseases that our birds can come down with. Canker, Respiratory, Pox, PMV, etc. are all things one needs to be prepared to deal with. I know that there is some expense involved here, but it sort of goes with the territory.

Hope this helps,

Dan

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
In addition to the suggestions above, you do need to be ready in case a problem develops. It is always a good idea to have treatments available for the basic diseases that our birds can come down with. Canker, Respiratory, Pox, PMV, etc. are all things one needs to be prepared to deal with. I know that there is some expense involved here, but it sort of goes with the territory.

Hope this helps,

Dan
I'll add one more to that Dan. PMV vaccine, Paratyphoid vaccine, canker, and worming will cost about $200 dollars. If you have expensive birds, this would be advisable to get some, because once you have an outbreak of a disease, it's hard to isolate the spread of the disease. Preventative medication is the best way to treat diseases, before they happen.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'll add one more to that Dan. PMV vaccine, Paratyphoid vaccine, canker, and worming will cost about $200 dollars. If you have expensive birds, this would be advisable to get some, because once you have an outbreak of a disease, it's hard to isolate the spread of the disease. Preventative medication is the best way to treat diseases, before they happen.
Oops! I forgot about worms. Oh well, there's always something, isn't there!

Dan

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You can keep your pigeons healthy by all the above posts...If you think you need medicine,and you don`t have alot of money,there are 4 & 1 and a 5 & 1 medications you can purchase for somewhere in the USA $50.00 range..The best way to keep your birds healthy is,DO NOT PUT ANY STRAY BIRDS,or any purchased or gift birds in with yours,UNTILL you keep them in quarantine for 2 or 3 weeks,to make sure they are healthy....Alamo

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think the use of the AcV in great....what I do to check on my birds health is take fecal samples to the vet a few times a year and have it checked for ratio of good vs bad bacteria and worms...then treat if you need to with recommended meds or if they are fine you know all is well and just use the acv and garlic with all the other things that make a healthy enviroment. The quarentening is important so thats a good one to remember...so the ansewer to your question is multiple things to consider:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts