Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this new youngster. Wondering what you would call this color? I kind of think he may moult out into a regular recessive red???

·
Registered
652 Posts
Beautiful pigeon! The color looks like a typical chicken's color.. I don't know genetics so hopefully NZ Pigeon or tmaas (or others) can help you.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Sure looks White to me.
Rob,
Becky will have an opinion when she sees it.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
If you look where the bird has moulted In new feathers the red is more pronouced. And not a bad red color. The tail does look white. Even the unmoulted area Looks red. Just a dull red. And NZ is right with the white on the tail it could later moult in more whit making it a mottle. Is it a muelman. Which several of those wind up mottled red when they are Red based. Post after the moult is over Bet it will be a decent red color What color are its parents

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
It looks to me as though the darker feathers are pre moult and the faded red ones are newer.

Ashby - Loft - the dark red feathers in the barred area? Are they newly moulted feathers or are they they previous ones.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
It looks to me as though the darker feathers are pre moult and the faded red ones are newer.

Ashby - Loft - the dark red feathers in the barred area? Are they newly moulted feathers or are they they previous ones.
Look at the head and neck. then compare to the wing. The head neck are the first area on a moult on most young birds. So the better red is the new feathers and the dull is the baby feathers.. At least that is my thought

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I've seen some bad recessive reds but never ones that came mottled like this.
Looks like Ember

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/huntleyloft/ember.html
If it was ember I would think it to be a good ember color. But It is not. I dont think. And the moulted feathers are cleaning up the red. Give this bird about 3 more months To show it better color. Then after the fall moult when it gets its first full adult moult We will know if it is going to get mottled up.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will bring this thread back to life once the bird has a full moult. My bet is it ends up a regular looking recessive red.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Look at the head and neck. then compare to the wing. The head neck are the first area on a moult on most young birds. So the better red is the new feathers and the dull is the baby feathers.. At least that is my thought
I agree but I am not really focusing on the head and neck as from what I have seen in poor rec reds the head and neck are the easiest area to get a consistent colour, The wing shield is often the challenge. I am interested to see how it moults out, It could be beautiful, here's hoping. Until then we can only speculate, The bird is clearly **** rec red though

Please do update us

1 - 20 of 42 Posts