Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Pigeon Tenders!
Can someone help me with the color of this cock bird? I bred this bird back in 2014. Every year, he keeps adding more black color to him; however, as he got older the color became darker. I'm thinking it's a Black stipple /Almond cock. My second guess would be a black spread almond. Please advise and thank you in advance!

Instagram: @Afghanloft
YouTube: Afghan Loft

CECC7F44-E2AE-44F3-822A-3CB7890C2ECF.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Def got the spread going on but he could have a lot of genes 馃К
Hi there!

Thank you for replying to my post. I appreciate it very much! You're right, that was my second guess that it might be a spread almond.

The mother of this bird was a classic almond hen and the father was a really dark color cock. I was really hoping for a classic color in this bird but instead, I got a black spread. It's weird but this bird is still beautiful and he has produced me some amazing almonds!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
At what age u let the young birds out the loft ?
I do apologize for the late response as I was extremely busy for the past week. I usually let them out around 7 weeks old. Here are some pics of the black spread offspring.

Registered
Looks like a yellow or ash red carrying blue . I got one like that his dad was red mom was blue bar

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a yellow or ash red carrying blue . I got one like that his dad was red mom was blue bar
May I get your name, please? I鈥檓 Farhad. I honestly think that this bird is also a cock bird but my friend keeps telling me that鈥檚 it鈥檚 a hen. Here is the background of this bird and his father.

the father of this young bird is a black spread (Pic is attached to this Post as the original post)

the mother of this bird is an Afghan homing pigeon black color.

There is absolutely no blue genes in them so how is this possible that I get a red ash?

The grandfather of this young bird was also a black bird.
The grandmother of this bird was a classic almond bird (I don鈥檛 know her background )

Registered
The top 3 are main colors red , blue , brown from most dominant to less dominant. The bird will always show the most dominant color . So the black father is Carrying the spread gene that makes him look black but he is really a blue bird .....the cock birds carry 2 spots for color and he will show the most dominant color but still carry the other color and will pass it to his offsprings the cock also determines the offsprings sex .the hens carry one spot for color and will always pass that color to the cock offsprings. The almond hen might be red with the diluted gene and u will only get her color if u mate 2 diluted birds together...so pretty much the blue specs are from the father having blue /black and the red is from the mother...but then again sometimes it can skip Generation and pop up 5 generations in .... that baby might throw u blue bars 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
The top 3 are main colors red , blue , brown from most dominant to less dominant. The bird will always show the most dominant color . So the black father is Carrying the spread gene that makes him look black but he is really a blue bird .....the cock birds carry 2 spots for color and he will show the most dominant color but still carry the other color and will pass it to his offsprings the cock also determines the offsprings sex .the hens carry one spot for color and will always pass that color to the cock offsprings. The almond hen might be red with the diluted gene and u will only get her color if u mate 2 diluted birds together...so pretty much the blue specs are from the father having blue /black and the red is from the mother...but then again sometimes it can skip Generation and pop up 5 generations in .... that baby might throw u blue bars 馃槀
Hello!

Thank you for the info! I appreciate it very much. The black spread cock bird is one of my birds that I bred. His father was black and didn鈥檛 carry any blue in him because I have been breeding my blacks since 2010. The same line and didn鈥檛 mate them with any other colors. Mostly I have been inbreeding my blacks but never mixed them with any other colors especially blue. The mother of the Black spread was a classic almond and I got her from a good friend of mine who passed away a couple of years ago so I don鈥檛 know the mother鈥檚 background.

Recently I paired this black spread with one of my Afghan whitetail pigeons (homing pigeon) and I got this dilute-looking almond or as you say ash red.

The Afghan black homing pigeon is also one of my lines and I have had them over 10 years and never mixed them with any other colors either. Because they only come in black and they can鈥檛 be mixed because you鈥檒l ruin the breed of the Afghan blackbird, however, I decided to pair it with my black spread almond cock in hopes of getting a classic almond so based on what you鈥檙e telling me it鈥檚 very weird that I got this dilute color as a matter fact it鈥檚 very interesting to me that they produced me such a color.

What can I do to get a classic almond? I heard of you pair an almond with a kite or black they鈥檒l produce classic almonds but that didn鈥檛 work and I鈥檓 not looking for any blue bars out of my almonds lol

I recently imported some NL blue bars that are designed to race. 鈽 but they鈥檙e still in quarantine.

Registered
You have to understand the black bird is a dark checker carrying the spread gene 馃К take away the gene and his blue 馃挴. inbreeding after a while birds will lack vitality so be careful .The almond is a mutation of 馃К genes . So you u gotta play around with it and see what pair gives u what you looking for ....this colors give u the almond u looking for .......

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
You have to understand the black bird is a dark checker carrying the spread gene 馃К take away the gene and his blue 馃挴. inbreeding after a while birds will lack vitality so be careful .The almond is a mutation of 馃К genes . So you u gotta play around with it and see what pair gives u what you looking for ....this colors give u the almond u looking for .......
Good morning,

Thank you so much for the info. I will pair him to one of my kites again and see what the outcome will be...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts