Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The first bird is black as night. Would he be a black check? The 2nd bird looks like a BB, but the blue is grey and black.
The first one would be a dark check splash (DCSPL) because of the few white feathers. In racing pigeon color classifacation all darker/black checked birds (as long as they are checked) are classified as dark checks (DC).

The second as stated by ezemaxima would be pied or Splash. In racing pigeon speek a Blue Bar Splash (BBSPL). Again all shades of blue/gray with black bars are considered Blue Bars (BB).

Ace

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I always heard of pieds only being for birds that had an almost bald, or white, head. With as little white as these birds have, I don't think anyone would question calling them a dark check and a blue bar.

Dan

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I always heard of pieds only being for birds that had an almost bald, or white, head. With as little white as these birds have, I don't think anyone would question calling them a dark check and a blue bar.

Dan
Hi Dan,

For one, We can not see every inch of this bird to see if it has any other white on it. If there is no other white on the bird I would call it a blue bar. With no other white it is a blue bar to you or I. But if this bird has any more white and was placed in an auction race around the guys I raced with you better call it a BBSPL.

Ace

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
The first is a dark check, and the second is blue bar. Yes, both are technically pied because of the white markings. Also, it is so dark because they both have the dirty gene. It's obvious to see in the first bird because of the black on the feet. The BB also looks a bit dark in color, so I'm guessing it may be carrying dirty too. Tickeyes (the little white speck behind the eye) tends to be on a lot of dirty birds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.