Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Here in the Long Island/NYC area we call it a silver but I've heard ppl call it other names.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Racing people call it a silver ,show people would call it a red bar,so if you are into racing call it a silver and if are into showing cal lit a red bar. BUT HERE IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT; IF A BLUE BIRD WITH BLACK BARS IS CALLED A BLUEBAR ,WHY IS A RED BIRD WITH RED BARS NOT CALLED A RED BAR????? GEORGE;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Racing people call it a silver ,show people would call it a red bar,so if you are into racing call it a silver and if are into showing cal lit a red bar. BUT HERE IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT; IF A BLUE BIRD WITH BLACK BARS IS CALLED A BLUEBAR ,WHY IS A RED BIRD WITH RED BARS NOT CALLED A RED BAR????? GEORGE;)
Goerge in modenas we call them mealies. Seems like every breed has their own language for color discription.

Walter

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
We would call it a mealy if it didn't have the bars. So a mealy is basicly a barless silver.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If they are ash-red birds, I call them red bars, red checks, etc. Silver, to me, is confusing because the technical term for dilute blue is silver. It always got on my nerves when my dad would call my red birds 'red bar silvers'.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Very good point George, I have asked myself that question also. And then just to confuse the issue, fanciers really into colors might call that bird something else, perhaps a "Mealy". And to get more specific, perhaps an ash red bar, or an ash red sooty pattern.

See Ron Huntly's site: http://www.angelfire.com/ga/huntleyloft/red.html

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a pair of blue checks that kicked out what i call a Gray Bar...a club members seen it and called it a mealey..i always wondered what a mealey was...howver the birds is a very light shade of gray with a stone gray bar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts