Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random introduction story
So, as some of you know I'm on vacation in Brasil. I have been allowed to grab string foot injuries and quickly cut and release, but so far I've been leaving all the other sickly pigeons behind. I was scouting for string injuries (for FOUR hours) and bypassed pigeons with severe pox, paratyphoid, and a squeaker with strange growths billowing out of the side of his beak, leaving him unable to eat. It hurt so much to leave them behind... especiallly the last one, so young and already with no hope at all to survive. He was already limping and weak... Damn. Anyway, I'm not supposed to take them because I haven't got anywhere to put them, my aunt (whose house I'm in) thinks they're diseased and wont tolerate it, but today I'd had enough.

Actual important stuff
When I passed by my fourth "unsaveable" pigeon, I went ahead and grabbed her. She's a small, black squeaker. I mean, she already has her feathers and all, but she's got that nice big beak and eyes all the babies have. She can't fly! One of her wings is half the size of the other, like feathers have been pulled out, but there are no visible injuries. I'm not really sure how to cure this... just leave her be and let it heal? Yes, her wing droops a lot. Could it be broken, but not visibly? Also, the wing that droops is the larger wing, not the tiny one. Lastly, I need a quick solution... I'm leaving on the 27th, so I haven't got long to fix her!

More unimportant things
And if you're wondering how I got away with keeping her, I ran to my other aunt's house. I don't think she'd be as eager to take home the one that couldn't eat, who has been haunting me since I saw him, but this one isn't deformed like him. Her name is Vigil after Cynthia Vigil, a woman who escaed a serial killer some years ago.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thought on dropping wings if no injuries: vitamins! Ca & d3
Really? I didn't know that! How do I give her vitamins? Pills? The kind you put in water? I haven't got any, nut I can go buy some. Thanks!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Look up a picture of the skeletal anatomy of a bird, it is usually a pigeon that is displayed. Starting from there, go over each wing separately from joint to joint and see if everything is really there on both wings.

Many time a car tire will amputate a wing section so cleanly that it look like it has been done with a knife. As it is also a crushing injury, there is often little or no bleeding. But if one wing is shorter than the other you can bet it is due to some kind of trauma.

It also means the bird will never fly. One wing will always provide more lift so the bird is unable to maintain straight flight.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Are you still in Brasil? Didn't catch up your question. Buy human pills D3 & Ca ( only- 2 in one) read how many mg per pill ( the less mg per pill, the easier to cut in just few pieces. Cut it in pieces. 1 piece for 15/20mg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts