Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few day's I've found 3 dead young birds in my coop. On friday morning all my birds were laying around on the floor and when I went in the coop they all got up happy to see me but my one and only grizzle didn't get up. I was like what's up with him and banged on the screen and he still didn't move he was dead. Only 12 hours earlier he was good as I put him and all the rest of my 62 yb's up on the training sceen up on the roof he was one of the first birds to go down the ramp from the roof to the board and into the bucks. He was the weaned about 2 weeks ago but he was doing good he was nice and fat and there was no sign of anything wrong with him. Then firday night I put all the birds up there again and they all felt nice nobody seamed to show any signs of anything being wrong with any of them. And sat morning I found another one dead this one being pretty old having dropped 4 tips already. Then this afternoon I found another one out in the day screen who looked good this morning when I was in the coop just dead. This was a bird I banded on Jan 1st and on his 6th tip. Any help would be great caus I have no clue what is going on. I've had birds get sick and I fix them up some make it some don't. But this has me completly baffled as there's no signs of anything wrong with them and then within a few hours they are dead.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Sounds like paratyphoid; it kills the youngsters and older ones first and often with no signs of illness. Or, it could be something else. . .they haven't had any birdseed that's gotten damp at all, have they? Have your birds been vaccinated for it? I hope you find what's wrong and the rest are okay.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are in the section of the coop where my old bird race team enter the coop after a toss or race. It's a 6 1/2 X 14 foot section with 120 pearches so there is plenty of space for the 62 birds and the 23 old birds. The old birds eat and get a drink and stay in there for a half hour or so before I let them into their section where thier mates/eggs are. So they eat and drink the same stuff caus they only eat when I pack them up and toss them and go back into that section. And my old birds are doing good in the races. They aren't winning but they are coming in good in last weeks race out of about 300 birds I had 10 of my 20 birds clock within 5 mins and all came in the top 30. I think that's the best return I ever had in an old bird race I'm not a good old bird flyer more of a YB kinda guy I think it's because I stock/retire all my winners and good birds from YB's caus they've already proven themselves and I don't want to lose them. But my losers are holding their own in average speed so far in OB. Also last thursday I put a few of my birds in a auction for a special race my club has. And the guys were complementing me on how nice my yb's were. Which turned out to be a bad thing cuas I had to pay 90 bucks a peice to get a few of them back. But I was also thinking it could be paratyphoid. I've heard of it killing babies in the nest and in the egg but I never heard of it killing healthy birds who are 5 months old already in a matter of hours.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
My first thought was paratyphoid. Will definitely get those who were just recently weaned. 5 month olds can still get it, even though it's less likely to cause sudden death in them. But I suppose it always could if they don't have a good resistance built up to salmonella yet.
Another thing that can wipe out a young bird loft is Adeno virus I believe.

Do the old birds come in contact with the young birds? It is very possible the old birds could have carried something home with them from the races that they are immune to, but the young birds are not.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the old birds are mixed in with the old birds for about a half hour a day. Idk if they brought it home from a race or if it came from one of the 5 auction birds I added to my loft a lil over a week ago. I bought 3 birds from Florida and 2 from Oklamhoma one of them could have carried somthing that they have an immunity to but my birds don't. I thought it might be paratyphoid and I'm treating them for it now. But normally if an older bird gets it they either get a limp or the swollen joint in the wing from joint inflamtion or they'll slim down and even sometimes get what looks like PMV with the leaning head or what they call the spins. But I don't have any birds with any of that that's why I'm not totally sure and I was just wondering if maybe sombody on here might of heard of somthing else that could do that.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I may have missed something... But NEVER let your young Birds on the Same ground racers that have been mixed with other birds have touched!
There Imune system is NOT ready, and even if it was, why take the Risk? Dave

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I may have missed something... But NEVER let your young Birds on the Same ground racers that have been mixed with other birds have touched!
There Imune system is NOT ready, and even if it was, why take the Risk? Dave
I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread. They should be trapping into their own section, not with the young birds.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Obviously you have a disease, no? That happened to me one time, but I didn't know what caused it. I let the bird fly the previous day and the next day, it was dead on the floor. In panic, I cleaned and disinfected everything with clorox. I am thinking of paratyphoid myself. Those bacteria can replicate so fast damaging organs and your birds die suddenly.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah there's obviously a disease and it's most likly paratyphoid. But thats the worse to have a bird that you've had for 5 months keeping it healthy and looking foward to see what he can do in the races in a few months. Then to find it dead in the day screen after handleing it no more then 4 hours before when it was acting normal and showing no signs of anything being wrong. All the birds in there look good. I think they are one of the best looking yb teams I've had in a while probly the best looking team since my team I had in 1999 when I won a few races and topped the combine with 2 pigeons. I just hope it's stops with these 3 birds and it don't get anymore but only time will tell.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Birds pretend they are well even when they are ill. In the wild, a sick acting bird is an easy target for predators. They pretend until they just can't any longer.
Your birds didn't just suddenly get sick...they just pretended to be OK. The only way you can really tell if a bird is ill or OK is if you frequently pick them up, check the crop for food, look at the inside of the mouth, monitor the poop,etc.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's true about picking them up often. I went to pick up more than one rescue, who looked to be in good weight, only to find, upon picking them up, that they were light as a feather. I now handle and lift my birds all the time, just to be sure they're not going light. You can't always tell by looking at them. By the time you can see it, they're really light.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for the fact I'm trying somthing new and I'm not letting these birds go out of the coop with out packing them up. I handle them every day I pack them up and put them up in my training screen I have up on the roof of the coop and they walk accross the roof then down a ramp to get to the board and then into the bucks. So I am handleing them every day and they all feel as good as they look. They are all on the fat side because they haven't be let out yet since I've been waiting for the hawks to dissipate a lil. They'll be going out this week. I've never had a bird die with the amount of wieght these 3 birds had on them. I've had a bird go light after a short period of time and die in past years but these birds looked good felt nice and showed no sign of anything being wrong. If they were trained I woulda packed these birds up and put them in the race and bet on them caus they felt good and to be dead a few hours later makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I can imagine how you feel. I hope this is solved quickly, and that you don't lose any more birds.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Over the last few day's I've found 3 dead young birds in my coop. On friday morning all my birds were laying around on the floor and when I went in the coop they all got up happy to see me but my one and only grizzle didn't get up. I was like what's up with him and banged on the screen and he still didn't move he was dead. Only 12 hours earlier he was good as I put him and all the rest of my 62 yb's up on the training sceen up on the roof he was one of the first birds to go down the ramp from the roof to the board and into the bucks. He was the weaned about 2 weeks ago but he was doing good he was nice and fat and there was no sign of anything wrong with him. Then firday night I put all the birds up there again and they all felt nice nobody seamed to show any signs of anything being wrong with any of them. And sat morning I found another one dead this one being pretty old having dropped 4 tips already. Then this afternoon I found another one out in the day screen who looked good this morning when I was in the coop just dead. This was a bird I banded on Jan 1st and on his 6th tip. Any help would be great caus I have no clue what is going on. I've had birds get sick and I fix them up some make it some don't. But this has me completly baffled as there's no signs of anything wrong with them and then within a few hours they are dead.
Sorry to hear of the losses. The only thing which would cause a "Perfectly Healthy" pigeon die, would be an injury. If there was no injury, then of course, they were not perfectly healthy.....:( There are are number of ailments, which can cause sudden death....some of which have already been mentioned. Hopefully, you will be able to get your arms around this thing !

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pigeon0446, how has it been going? Anymore losses? Have you figured out what was wrong with these birds? I hope things have gotten better since you last posted.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know they couldn't be perfectly healthy at the time they died but they seamed to be just hours before they died. But I havn't had any more of them die since I started the thread on sunday. Everybody seams to be fine I actually let them out for the first time on tuesday and had them out again today. Some of them were getting a lil adventurous and taking off the coop. But they are all went back in so thats good. I just hope whatever it was has passed. Idk if it was a sickness or if there was somthing in the bag of feed but I'm gonna keep a watchful eye on them for a lil while to make sure.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Do think about ordering the vaccines. You can get them from Foy's and they're not much. I went through a few weeks where I lost several birds, mostly youngsters, a few years back. Of course it was really devastating. Shortly after I vaccinated them for the first time and I've only lost ONE since then, and he had poor health to begin with. It is really so amazing what the vaccines can do, I can't believe it. It's not hard to do either, I wasn't experienced and though they say it's easier with two people, I did all 50 of mine alone and though it was stressful on the birds and me as well, we got through it and the 100% health rate since then is a blessing every day. I hope your birds are okay and they continue to do well. :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do think about ordering the vaccines. You can get them from Foy's and they're not much. I went through a few weeks where I lost several birds, mostly youngsters, a few years back. Of course it was really devastating. Shortly after I vaccinated them for the first time and I've only lost ONE since then, and he had poor health to begin with. It is really so amazing what the vaccines can do, I can't believe it. It's not hard to do either, I wasn't experienced and though they say it's easier with two people, I did all 50 of mine alone and though it was stressful on the birds and me as well, we got through it and the 100% health rate since then is a blessing every day. I hope your birds are okay and they continue to do well. :)
Maryjane, Did someone teach you how to vaccinate? That must have been very stressful doing it by yourself. I know I'm going to have to do mine, but I'm a bit nervous about it. Is it very difficult?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I had done a few before when the shelter suggested it but I had a vet tech friend then to help me and it was awhile back. I just asked people here how to do it, and gritted my teeth and just did it. It actually only took about three hours to do all of them, and I think I had 49 then. I've actually blocked most of it out :eek: but I remember using the same needle for a number of them, just filling the syringe full with around four dosages, I believe, and using rubbing alcohol in between to clean the needle. Easier than loading each individual dose. I used non toxic fabric paint to mark each one that I had already done.

Okay, here's the thread, full of info: :)
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=23673&highlight=vaccination

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thanks. The fabric paint is a great idea. I won't need that, as I only have 19 birds, and when I medicate or anything, we just check them off on the list. The whole thing is making me very nervous though. Thank you for the link. I'll go read it. And copy it, and read it again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts