Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My birds are breeding right now and for some reason they are drinking alot of water, its usually empty by the time i re-feed them but it seems like half it ends up on the floor. The floor and the nest box's all are like 75% water as it seems from there poop is this a bad thing?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Ive been going through the same thing lately. I sent a dropping sample off, and found out my birds have worms and e-coli. I keep a clean loft and take very good care of my birds, so this came as a surprise to me. Im also in the midst of breeding season, but I figure I have no choice. I have been giving a antibio and a wormer. I will follow this up with a good probiotic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What is a good wormer to use with pigeons and what is the dosage recomendation? I have been having this issue lately as well...one day their poop is perfectly normal and the next it is watery and they drink a lot. Their grit consumption also seems to have increase. Could this be due to a health issue or because they are being pigs about the safflower seeds? They pick them out of their mix and throw the rest on the floor!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
What is a good wormer to use with pigeons and what is the dosage recomendation? I have been having this issue lately as well...one day their poop is perfectly normal and the next it is watery and they drink a lot. Their grit consumption also seems to have increase. Could this be due to a health issue or because they are being pigs about the safflower seeds? They pick them out of their mix and throw the rest on the floor!
The poop is watery because they are drinking a lot more than usual. The concern should be why they are drinking this much

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Having canker could cause them to drink more, but if they are pigging out on the grit, that would also make them drink more.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Invermectin is good for worms, Wazine has worked for me, some like worm out gel. Go to Foy's or somewhere like that and check out what they have.

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
If they are feeding young birds
They take in more water. Now are they locked down in individual pens If so are your waters cover so they do not spill as easy. PLUS just a simple old close pin works to hold waters in place.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pmv Will Make Pigeons Drink Allot Of Water.
There are many things that will make them drink more water. Coccidiosis is another one, but there are many.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have breeders on one side about 11 pair?
And about 16 birds on the other side with no babies.

The breeeders floor is really bad and the birds with no babies it too a little

I did notice a breeder hen not moving alot and when i put my hand close to her she will have random flinch's. I put her by herself for now and have moved her babies under another pair. I think im going to let them finish with the babies in the nest then medicate them all. Unless i can medicate while there is babies.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Breeding mixes usually have more pellets. Pellet consumption results in more watery stools then feeding grains.
Does your breeding mix have more pellets than your usual mix?
If it does that could be the cause of the excess moisture.
Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts