Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My four birds were 42 days old They were using the trap and going in and out of the settling cage. They were flying around the aviary and had a great view of their surroundings. I tried letting them out for the first time. They were very hungry because I had only given them half their food the day before. I let them out and they IMMEDIATELY flew away. I tried using their feed call and it didnt work. Circled once and were gone and have not seen them since. That was 2 and a half days ago. I have tried the feed call several times each day just in case they were around but no luck. There were no hawks around bc the chickens are excellent indicators of that and they were very relaxed. The dog wasnt outside running around I cant think of anything that could have spooked them. They were amazing flyers. These were my pets so I was really really disappointed.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I cant see you did anything wrong, Iam surprized also, this happend to someone I talked to just this weekend he only had two young birds about 7 weeks of age, but what he did I think which may of upset them was he did trap train them..but then took them in a basket a few yards away..they went back to the loft..he did it again further away and they flew up and did not come back..this was wednesday, what I think happend was he just did not let them come out on their own and venture out and give them time to settle and get attached to the loft and confused them with forcing the basket training too early. with yours though you did eveything you are supposed to do.. just let them come out on their own on a calm nice day..then call them back in. the only thing I can think of is how old were they exactly when you let them out the first time.. some older youngsters will get strong on the wing and fly off..with about 8 weeks olds they do not do much flying which gives them time to feel security of the loft. I would be disappointed too with all that work and care you put into it. how many where there?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Maybe they just did not have enough time to settle and get attached to the loft, at 6 weeks old they are still pretty new to their new home. You may want to try and get a few breeding pairs and those would be kept in, but you could fly their young, being hatched there the home would be automatic. But still young homers usually settle fine, so it is a mystery really why they would leave at such a young age. I hope someone can post some more ideas of why this may happen.... Just in case, how far is the loft they came from?

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
They probably didn't have enough time to settle to your loft. Maybe should have waited to let them out a bit longer. How long have you had them?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
: (

UGHHHH i feel like an idiot and I think I just completely made a mistake and I thought they were ready and they werent. I feel horrible because I know they probably didnt make it out in the wild. I have had these birds since they were 18 days old which many here have said is WAY too young but I was a COMPLETE beginner to pigeons when I got them from a very old school guy (probably about 55+years my senior-im23) and he had a nice clean place and nice birds...my birds always ate well from day one, never needed any coddling.. so it didnt register he might have given them to me too young but alas they did well lol until they flew away. I had one that was more tame than the others and I was really hoping he would come back at least but at this point I know thats extremely unlikely.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry for your lost, I am always eager to let new pigeons out too. Right now I have 11 new homers in the loft and I really want to let them fly but I know they would just fly away....

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I don't think it was because they were young when given to you. I just think they were not yet ready to be let out, and needed more time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't think it was because they were young when given to you. I just think they were not yet ready to be let out, and needed more time.
Ditto ....

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I agree with this, it doesn't take much to spook a young bird if a wild bird flew by they would just follow and not be able to find their way back home. I like to let my young out just before feeding time at night so they don't get much time out the first few days.
Dave

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I agree too, I would though call the old timer and just check to see if any showed up there, if they did then they are super homers.. it has happend before the first time let out of the loft the young bird flew back home. but with them being so young, I think it is as the others are saying.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
round 2

so unfortunately they did not come back.The
"pigeon man " (lol) who I got them from agreed it was
a little unusual. He gave me a bonded pair of german owls and three baby
homers. The homers are 20 days old. they are active and eating and drinking
well. The German Owls are about six weeks old. so after what happened I obviously
know not to let birds out for a WHILE lol. firstly let me say I kno pigeons are pigeons I
know they are not cuddly parrots etc. I do not expect anything from my birds but I want my birds to be as "tame" as possible . how do you go about doing that? I kno feed is a major
thing but at tjis young age when feeding free choice what else shouldI be doing

·
Registered
691 Posts
I dont know but this might work sometimes put them in a small cage and put them facing the loft say from your roof or from a tree and let them see the loft maybe see some other birds trap and eat. Then let them out on there own they just want to huuver like a helicopter on top of the loft or around it. Plus that's part of having pigeons sometimes you lose some and sometimes you breed some, that's why I don't name my birds or think of them as pets like a dog or cat I just enjoy watching them breed live together and love watching them fly...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
to clarify

what i mean isn't really in regards to letting them out since Ive learned my lesson and they wont be coming out for a while lol I just mean what can I do to take advantage of the birds young age in regards to taming them (esp the homers) People always say use their feed to get them to adjust to you but when your feeding free choice to young birds what else can you do to get them more acclimated to you? Ive seen tons of videos of guys with pigeons sitting on their shoulders landing on their arms flying to them from across the yard etc.

·
Registered
221 Posts
^^^this... I would like to know the answer to also. I've had the same one bird for a year and a half... She still try to kill me when I'm round. If I pay no attention at all she will fly around and land on me sit for a minute and fly away. That's after a year of contact every day.

I know petting is a mammal thing but damn I would like her to at least not peck me to death when I feed her. Sorry to thread Jack dude.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what i mean isn't really in regards to letting them out since Ive learned my lesson and they wont be coming out for a while lol I just mean what can I do to take advantage of the birds young age in regards to taming them (esp the homers) People always say use their feed to get them to adjust to you but when your feeding free choice to young birds what else can you do to get them more acclimated to you? Ive seen tons of videos of guys with pigeons sitting on their shoulders landing on their arms flying to them from across the yard etc.
This may sound crazy, but I really think the more you stay out of their way or business the better. The thing you have in common with the fella that lost his two youngs was he was in there all the time, making them eat out of his hand and sit on his arm.. they were not there that long and perhaps they really looked at the loft as this humans home if he was in there allot..and stressed the birds.. IMO I think the birds should have their private time without humans staring and or trying to interact with them.. the loft should be their safe home where they feel comfortable and when they feel that way they get attached to it..remember it is their home not a place to play with them.. pigeons are not going to be tame unless they were hand raised..they mature and are standoffish, it is their protection agains predators. I would just feed call them and feed them then leave them alone.. they will catch on faster if they only see you during those times when you do your feed call.. in a few weeks trap training can begin.. then you can open up the door and see if they want out at about 8 t0 9 weeks of age after they know how to get back in the loft. make sure it is calm and relaxing and a few hours before sunset helps them get back in too.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
When they are very young, like still in the nest, it's a lot easier to tame them to you. But even then some will just always be as sw says, standoffish. Most of the babies hatched here are friendly, as I interact with them a lot. But there are a few that just never tamed up. A lot depends on how friendly the parents are toward you. Then I have gotten in older birds that weren't friendly, and they now come to me all the time. Some never will. I accept that some will just never be friendly, and give them their space. They have a right to that. And as was mentioned, they need to feel safe in their loft, not hasseled. But treats go a long way in getting them to come to you. Then they get used to you and many will become very comfortable with you. There is a fine line there between interacting with them, and stressing them. You have to be able to sense the difference. There are some who will just never be friendly and will always be on guard. It's in their nature. Offering treats is the best way to let them come to you, rather than you going after them, as that never helps.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I usually start loft flying my birds when they have crossed 2 months of age,You should give them time to settle and understand your loft.I guess,u released them a bit early.Better luck next time,just learn from your mistakes.It has happened to most of us ,when we first started flying pigeons :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts