Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I make my own mix for the YB racers
I use 4 parts 15% regular pigeon mix ( browns international mix )
1 part pigeon pellets
2 parts barley
1 part safflower
1 part white millet

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I give mine Vinny mixed from Browns...If I noticed that they are skinny I give them safflower mixed with pellets, put a lot of weight in them to build their body structure...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Once I start flying mine I use the regular 15 percent but mix 50 percent barley. I am sure it is no where near 15 percent after that. Birds will fly and stay lean and mean if you feed this. After the sprint races are over they go on to the 15 percent when I am not carb loading for a race.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once I start flying mine I use the regular 15 percent but mix 50 percent barley. I am sure it is no where near 15 percent after that. Birds will fly and stay lean and mean if you feed this. After the sprint races are over they go on to the 15 percent when I am not carb loading for a race.
Great info! Thanks!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I cant add anything more to this as this is pretty much the way we do it. Works tooooooooo!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
What kind of barley are we talking about? I think there are different kinds. At supermarket they have like pearled barley or something.

·
Registered
628 Posts
What kind of barley are we talking about? I think there are different kinds. At supermarket they have like pearled barley or something.

Rod, I use the Diamond Barley (not a brand but a shape) just make sure your barley you buy is clean. If not, roll it in an old Bingo canister to remove all the dirt and dust.
Ken

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have a menter?
I have resources....lol. But no one that I can call a mentor. Most of these guys are to far away to keep in close touch with. The only other guy in my area is a newbie just like me.:D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rod, I use the Diamond Barley (not a brand but a shape) just make sure your barley you buy is clean. If not, roll it in an old Bingo canister to remove all the dirt and dust.
Ken
Ken, that's a great tip! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I buy my barley from Brown's also
Its Noble barley

·
Registered
463 Posts
Heres what we use and have found it to be a good mix for us here in FLA.

For the birds not breeding or flying, we use US Racing Mix (Baden) which has 13.8% protein.

For the flying birds we use Browns International and add white safflower for distances out to 185 miles, then to that we add extra pop corn for the longer races. Upon their return from a race, we feed a depuritive which we blend ourselves (equal parts: wild bird seed with black sunflower seed, white safflower and barley)

For the breeders durring breeding season, we feed a blended mix of Browns International with Moulting Mix (Baden) which alone has 18% protein and will from time to time add additional white safflower seeds. We have done this now for two years and all of our youngsters are big and well developed by the time they reach the YB section of the loft. By exposing them to such things as corn and peas early, they have no issues eating them once they become independant youngsters.

All the birds have unlimited access to a good quality grit with charcoal. Once or twice a week we will coat the feed with Flax oil or Red Cell and blend it in with Brewers Yeast w/ Garlic which provides a little extra in the minerals dept.

We dont use many medications in the water other then once or twice a year depending on the rains, Globals Respitory Plus. We will put a table spoon of fresh minced garlic to one gallon of water once a week. Upon return from a race however, they have electrolites in the water or we may simply put one teaspoon of honey and one cup (lipton tea bag), to one gallon of water. When we dont use this method the birds have freash water.

When we started using this method we jumped from little to no returns on race day, to a true contendure placing in the top 10% to 20% every week.

So as the feed game is as much important to raceing as is training, its all worthless if you dont have quality stock to start with. If you have an average pigeon, you can give him all sorts of stuff but he will still only be average at the end of the day.

Food for though.....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heres what we use and have found it to be a good mix for us here in FLA.

For the birds not breeding or flying, we use US Racing Mix (Baden) which has 13.8% protein.

For the flying birds we use Browns International and add white safflower for distances out to 185 miles, then to that we add extra pop corn for the longer races. Upon their return from a race, we feed a depuritive which we blend ourselves (equal parts: wild bird seed with black sunflower seed, white safflower and barley)

For the breeders durring breeding season, we feed a blended mix of Browns International with Moulting Mix (Baden) which alone has 18% protein and will from time to time add additional white safflower seeds. We have done this now for two years and all of our youngsters are big and well developed by the time they reach the YB section of the loft. By exposing them to such things as corn and peas early, they have no issues eating them once they become independant youngsters.

All the birds have unlimited access to a good quality grit with charcoal. Once or twice a week we will coat the feed with Flax oil or Red Cell and blend it in with Brewers Yeast w/ Garlic which provides a little extra in the minerals dept.

We dont use many medications in the water other then once or twice a year depending on the rains, Globals Respitory Plus. We will put a table spoon of fresh minced garlic to one gallon of water once a week. Upon return from a race however, they have electrolites in the water or we may simply put one teaspoon of honey and one cup (lipton tea bag), to one gallon of water. When we dont use this method the birds have freash water.

When we started using this method we jumped from little to no returns on race day, to a true contendure placing in the top 10% to 20% every week.

So as the feed game is as much important to raceing as is training, its all worthless if you dont have quality stock to start with. If you have an average pigeon, you can give him all sorts of stuff but he will still only be average at the end of the day.

Food for though.....
This is very detailed. Thanks for posting this up! I was lucky enough to obtain a very good stock of birds and I want to do my part as the flyer to give them what they need to show their true abilities.

Henry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts