Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can gently get him up with the rest, since they have been out and are flocking, all of them have their own personalities. I have "lazy' birds too, and some that just can't get enough of flying...so sometimes there is nothing to have to fix...it just IS...:)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
when i release my young birds from the loft before feeding one bird only flys 10 feet and sits there till i fill the feeder and then flys to the landing board and through the bobs and eats. he used to flock with the rest but now he hangs around..
Catch that one bird and after the others are up flying, take him out to the middle of the yard and throw him up. Maybe he'll get up with the others then.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Either the bird is lazy or not getting enough share of food (too hungry). Either isolate it and feed itself alone, then see if it improves. If it is not sick and not too hungry, then it can be lazy so force tossing is what you need.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
when i release my young birds from the loft before feeding one bird only flys 10 feet and sits there till i fill the feeder and then flys to the landing board and through the bobs and eats. he used to flock with the rest but now he hangs around..
Have the birds been wormed and treated for canker? I would rule out the possibility of sickness before you force the bird to fly.
KInd of like making a kid go to school with a fever. I would think that would be the rule before making any "lazy bird" fly. Could be they are trying to tell you something.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Canker yes. Wormed no.
If you can, I would bring this bird inside so it's separate from the others and just watch it for a couple of days. That way you can momitor how much the birds is eating and what the poop looks like.
Does the bird feel thin?
When you treated for canker, did you treat individually or so a flock treatmnet? It could be this bird didn't get enough medicine if you treated the flock. Individual medicating is always best. That being said, I understand how impossible that is to do in most loft situations. If you have under 20 birds and they can be ealily caught to medicate, individually medicating is always best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.