Pigeon-Talk banner

What do I use for feather lice in Ontario Canada?

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  rrrrex 
#1 ·
So the restrictions on pesticides in Ontario limit what I can use.
There is no Sevin. I have tried Borax. Perhaps It was not a strong enough dose because It has not improved the situation much.
Any one know the correct ratio?
What else could I use it and how? I.e wash off after
Any input would be great thanks.

#5 ·
That's what I thought too! But it seems nothing is available. I spoke to a manager. Those aids are required through vets here. Just like in the States you can buy flea treatments in pet stores that we can not without a Vet. Just one more thing that bothers me here. In B.C you can buy Sevin. Ontario is so strict.
Home Depot should have some.
I have a bottle of Home Defense Max the chems are 0.25 which seems a bit high since the sprays for caged birds are 0.03
So hopefully there is something less.
What would be the max dose that would be safe?
Thanks again.

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Borax should work....i use 2 handfulls of Borax in the sink.... as i submurged the dove in the warm water with borax, i could see the lice fleeing from the doves.... i did this when i first brought my first pair home from the breeder, as they were in a space in his coop that was full of dirty sand....they were not pure white, but sandy brown is why i dowsed them in the borax.. try using more borax in your warm water is my suggestion!

#9 ·
Ivermectin is a product for cattle which I am told has been tested for Pigeons. I have not seen the study but I can tell you it works like a charm and I know others who also use it. 1 or 2 drops under each wing pit on the skin and they are protected for 6 months. Get the smallest bottle you can find at a feed store or on Amazon.

#16 ·
Correct link to Amazon

Yes the link you provided on amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Durvet-Ivermec.../dp/B00JAL3AAW is the correct stuff. You can always dilute it if needed. What I have is 5mg per mL which is a weight volume so I do not know how to express it as a percentage. I have not had any topical or other reactions.

By Feed Store I mean the store that sells livestock feed. I buy my pigeon mix at the local Feed Store and they have medications etc. but they also have chicken scratch and horse feed etc.

Thanks to Jay3 for the 1 month info on how long it is effective. I would like to find the study of it being used on Pigeons but I have not found it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.