Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my little 12 week old pdj will be sat on the settie with me and if i look at him and smile he will wiggle his wing(s) at me he doesnt full on fly them just a little wiggle when we both make eye contact, is it his way of saying im happy and hello??

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the baby pigeons do that when their parent is present and they ask for food that way or just are excited the parent bird is with them...a hen will do that with her mate as well.and a cock bird will do that when a hen has chosen a nest and he is happy about that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds to me like he is asking to be fed. My babies do this when they are hungry, wiggling their wings and running their beaks all over my fingers.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Maybe he just wants a little petting :)

We have an adult hen who used to spend most of the time in her box in the aviary. She wa very friendly, and when I approached she would twitch the wing nearest me and wait to be petted, and to preen my fingers. She wasn't hand raised, but rescued as a juvenile. Recently, though, she spends little time in there and prefers to peck me rather than preen me :)

When they twitch both wings, as has been said, it's usually more of a 'feed me' thing, though youngsters who are self feeding will often do that for a while after they've learned to eat for themselves.

John

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
I have never known a pigeon that actually LIKED to be petted, she must be really special.
I think she's just weird :)

She would fly onto my shoulder to get attention, then back into her box and do her twitch. Sometimes she would make little coos at me. When I petted her round her neck and head, she'd just close her eyes and do the 'nest call' sound.

It's strange, because although she was rescued as a hungry, wet little bundle in the market place, she was quite 'normal' for a while before becoming exceptionally friendly.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.