Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK

I took this pic a long time ago at first it was used for my german shepherd to sleep in at night

I put some newspaper on the bottom and put food and water in and put my baby pigeon in there I just couldnt stand to see him in that tiny cat carrier !

the cage is 4 feet long and like 3 feet wide I think? Anyways that duck did not live in there he was in there cause he was attacked by another animal and needed to heal up, the duck is a big bird about 10 pounds size of a house cat

Im just so scared to expose the baby pigeon to the harsh weather right now I was wondering do u think this set up would work??

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/animals1981/?action=view&current=Picture016.jpg

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If you intend to keep the pigeon inside your house, it will work. If the plan is to put the bird anywhere that predators might be, including rodents, it won't be adequate.
Pigeons love shelves and perhaps you could attach a shelf at each end of the cage each at a different height.
Cute Muscovy, by the way.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think it is fine, as long as he gets some outdoor sunshine( in a safe cage) and time out with you...now if this is a feral pigeon he may not take a liking to being caged, but if you have raised him from a baby I think it is fine, they do like to perch on a flat piece of wood or brick. make sure you do not have a cat that can and will put his claws into the cage and grab the pigeon, as that can happen with the bars with being so far apart. do you ahve any pics of the pigeon? would love to see them.:)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Don't put him outside in that cage ever.
A dear friend was taking care of a lovely Fantail I used for education and put her outside, during the day, in a kennel such as that so she could get some sunshine. Rats came through the bars and killed her, leaving us all heartbroken.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok guys well i almost have another out door loft built that is 10 by 10 and we are also adding a small flight pen as well

I Really did not need another loft as i already have a huge one and the one i have doesnt even have that many birds in it compared to some of u! lol

I think ill keep in there for a bit by himself and maybe then add another pigeon see how they get along

it might be a bit to big but at least he can practice his flying he is a roller

my main concern is the cold this loft is TOTALLY draft free though so im hoping that simple cold wather does not bother him as he has spent so much of his life indoors

he does not eat or drink by himself tho so i will just take a few trips every day there and do it, he does not squeek anymore but he still will not touch his food or water unless i am there to pick him up and put him in the food dish is that strange?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I think that cage is very nice for a young pigeon, and I would suggest you go with your instincts to keep him in if it's that cold already. :) He could turn out to be a wonderful indoor pet with all the attention he would get.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Im just so scared to expose the baby pigeon to the harsh weather right now I was wondering do u think this set up would work??

I can fully understand you wanting to keep your baby pigeon safe and warm. The set up seems to be just fine for the pigeon to be housed in as long as the cage is not left unattended outdoors unsupervised. It was explained to you that predators can possibly reach in and claw the pigeon to harm or kill it. Hardware cloth could be applied around the cage if you need to free up your time. Pigeons love to bathe and sun themselves. Both of theses which are very important to pigeons should be made available every day if possible, though my small flock tend to bathe every other day.

hes over 2 months now

I think he would be happier in a bigger place w other pigeons, i work full time i don't think its fair or right to leave him by himself for long periods
I used to be a single pigeon owner in 2004 with two almost full time jobs. Many members here are single pigeon owners and the pigeons are quite content. As long as their needs are taken care of and you spend some time with them, you can work it out. You can apply the principle of spending quality time as opposed to the quantity of time.. If you have an outdoor structure already in place, use it. The pigeon can benefit from getting fresh air, sun rays and getting its much needed exercise too. At evening time put him its cage and bring him inside. If it bothers you to leave him alone, then your next step is to get one more pigeon. But don't forget, that one more means added responsibilty.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
he does not eat or drink by himself tho so i will just take a few trips every day there and do it, he does not squeek anymore but he still will not touch his food or water unless i am there to pick him up and put him in the food dish is that strange?
He's over two months old and doesn't eat or drink on his own? What is it you do to get him to eat when you are there? Does he pick up seeds on his own? If he can do that, then I don't see why he wouldn't eat with you not there. or drink for that matter. Yes, this is strange I think. :eek:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he will eat on his own , when you are present, he may learn to feed without you, if placed with another independent but gentle pigeon.
Daryl
Yes pigeonmama is right. Maybe he would copy the other pigeon. Have you tried to show him how to peck?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts